2015- The Year in Review

pup

11-man fan
So here it is, my synopsis of 2015, late as it may be. From the outside looking in, it was an odd season. Like last year there was a lot of focus on the North, and there was a power shift in the South (who again proved to be the stronger in the end). While I feel the North may be deeper the South had three teams that could have been playing in Bastrop. Speaking of that, the shift to Bastrop only added to the weirdness of the year. Not that I mind. The Bastrop stadium was much nicer, and closer to me!, but I wish the biggest game of the year could be played on a field marked for sixman.

Way back at the start of the season I think I picked Notre Dame or Wichita Christian and Granbury to be the best teams from the North. Turns out I was close to being right. Notre Dame played for all the marbles and Granbury was the talk of the season. From the South I chose Seguin, San Marcos and Freddy and was spot on. Nothing came out of district 4, again.

Here we go:

1) San Marcos- Took a page out of the Freddy playbook and played smashmouth football. Certainly a physical team, they beat other teams down. Not the most disciplined team, though, they learned that having good athletes in the system for four years helps a lot. Will they have enough to repeat? It's going to be tough with the move to two divisions. Lack of discipline and scheme might prove to be their Achilles heal in 2016.

2) Notre Dame- Finally got over the "not by two" AGAIN jinx. Got the most out of the athletes in their system but lack of depth held them back in the end. Will do fine in the new district next season but graduation is going to hurt. I see them making playoffs next season but not going far.

3) WF Christian- In my opinion, overrated. Are only ranked this high because of playing a lot of UIL schools. Have proven they need lots of work on defense. To get to the next level, defense is crucial. Their coach will get them to the playoffs but don't look for them to go far.

4) Granbury-Are they guilty of riding one "horse", not developing other players, and needing work on defense? Were the "team to beat" but fell short. Not sure how they will look next year but they always seem to "find" athletes. Will be in a more challenging district in 2016 and will make the playoffs.

5) Seguin- In my opinion, a 2015 top three team in division III. Just happened to match up with the eventual champion. Seemed out of sync and lacking desire in semifinal game. Could be really good next year, or, could be just ok. May not make the playoffs in 2016 if they don't find their fire again.

6) Longview- I don't know what to think. Will be very young next season and losing their stud for the second year in a row. The switch to two divisions may not be good for Trinity.

7) Freddy- In my opinion, underrated. A rebuilding and young Freddy is still better than most teams. Played San Marcos tougher and closer than anyone else in the playoffs. Played arguably the most challenging schedule and took their lumps but look for Freddy to be in the hunt again next year.

8) Athens- The surprise team of the year. Came on strong at the end of the season and a team I don't know much about.

After that there isn't much to discuss.

I, for one, am truly looking forward to going back to two divisions. In all honesty, the quality of play in Division III the past couple of years has been down. Our Division III teams are going to have to pick it up if they want to represent well going forward. Playing the likes of Waco Live Oak and Baytown Christian will either result in better play or an early exit from playoffs. I look forward to the challenge..... Here's to 2015.

Pup I can appreciate your look back. May I clarify one item in reference to San Marcos? The two seniors Donoho and Daniels played football 2 seasons. Donobo did fill in as a freshman for 4 or 5 games at the end of th season.
Yes I agree that Division 2 will be much more exciting to be a part of. I also believe San Marcos will be competetive for 2016. As for me, well I am considering going back to school so I can complete my degree. Don't think I will be back in the same place I am.
I want to say thank you to all I have been proud to be associated with in 6 man football. Adios!

Back