Coach’s Quitting

Please post job openings here.

Moderators: granger, freeagent, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Coach’s Quitting

Postby Everyone Knows More » Thu May 14, 2020 11:35 am

From all classifications, the amount of coaches quitting and completely getting out of coaching has been astounding. Are they afraid of the changes coming from this Covid 19 or are people realizing that sport is just not that important. A healthy lifestyle through physical education is but we don’t have to have sports.
Scary times for coaches that got into the profession to just coach. Teachers will be just fine.
Everyone Knows More
6-Man Fan

Re: Coach’s Quitting

Postby Coach Roach » Thu May 14, 2020 1:54 pm

You may be right or wrong. Personally, I’m getting back into coaching. I only know of one coach that is leaving the game for good. So I don’t know where you get your facts, but they may be miscued a bit.
Coach Roach
6-Man Fan

Postby TebowTime15 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Before COVID, you might have been right because coaching is a tough job with less compensation than some. Now, I think COVID will probably bring more people back into the teaching field in general because it offers more security than the private sector. This will probably be offset somewhat because some older employees might retire sooner to protect themselves.

How much will this virus affect athletics in the long-term? Personally, I think it will either affect it very little or we are going to be in such bad state that the world experiences something like the European Dark Ages. If you made me pick, I would choose the former. It sounds like you might be more inclined to accept the latter. Only time will tell, but I think for sure, if you're right, school will be conducted online or not at all. In that situation, I see your point.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan

Postby Coach Roach » Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 pm

No you’re right, not saying I’m not taking the precautions seriously because I am. I think this blows over (hopefully soon) and things will slowly get back to normal. Just my opinion though
Coach Roach
6-Man Fan

Postby TebowTime15 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Coach Roach wrote:No you’re right, not saying I’m not taking the precautions seriously because I am. I think this blows over (hopefully soon) and things will slowly get back to normal. Just my opinion though

I agree, I was responding to the other guy. Sorry for not making that clear. If it's half as bad as some people say, everyone, not just coaches, will be worried about survival.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Maybe some people will re-evaluate some educational priorities.
Perhaps it will become more important for students to learn self reliance and how to provide food and housing instead of skills that the majority of kids will have no use in their futures..........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby Everyone Knows More » Fri May 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Great Comment Smokey!
Everyone Knows More
6-Man Fan

Postby Coach Roach » Sat May 16, 2020 10:03 am

smokeyjoe53 wrote:Maybe some people will re-evaluate some educational priorities.
Perhaps it will become more important for students to learn self reliance and how to provide food and housing instead of skills that the majority of kids will have no use in their futures..........

I’m not arguing with you with that at all. I definitely agree. But education is very important, and so are the type of jobs you mentioned.
Coach Roach
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 am

Maybe I should have substituted “school” for “educational”, specifically extra curricular activities. I love watching school sports but, in my opinion, entirely to much emphasis is placed on them.
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 pm

smokeyjoe53 wrote:Maybe I should have substituted “school” for “educational”, specifically extra curricular activities. I love watching school sports but, in my opinion, entirely to much emphasis is placed on them.

I'll have to agreeably disagree with you there Smoky. After the "three R's" there can be more life lessons learned in sports than in a most of the other courses in school. Just think about it for a minute. Hard work, perseverance, paying attention to what you are doing and what those around you are doing, etc. JMO
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:40 pm

No problem Mr. South. Just my thoughts ...................
Although I do think way too much time is devoted to some extra-curricular activities.......
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby Warcat82 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 pm

Johnny South wrote:
smokeyjoe53 wrote:Maybe I should have substituted “school” for “educational”, specifically extra curricular activities. I love watching school sports but, in my opinion, entirely to much emphasis is placed on them.

I'll have to agreeably disagree with you there Smoky. After the "three R's" there can be more life lessons learned in sports than in a most of the other courses in school. Just think about it for a minute. Hard work, perseverance, paying attention to what you are doing and what those around you are doing, etc. JMO

I agree with you. Sports in general teach so many life lessons. I have seen sports save some kid's lives including my own. Extra curricular activities in general help develop students all around. That extra time teaches them to manage time and work through struggles to figure out how to get work done on deadlines as well as keep their commitment to their brothers in arms.
Warcat82
6-Man Fan

Postby jc_30 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 am

Johnny South wrote:

JS, that seems like a lot of the life lessons that students should be learning in class, hard work, perseverance, paying attention. If that's not happening in the classroom and only on the fields and courts of play, we better be ready for change. That's some crappy teaching going on if so.
jc_30
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Dogface2 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Actually,
Both my kids left athletics
because of the win only
attitude of their coaches.
They attend a school
I'm sure you would consider
a successful school
because of several winning years?
Yet, They both struggle
with their academics
due to so much classtime lost
and other lacking teaching strategies.
I tried to create balanced
cultures at every school
I served, to no avail.
I'm no longer in the industry.
There seems to be as much corruption in education as there is in politics now.
Jus sayin.
Dogface2
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Everyone Knows More » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 am

Nobody really cares like they used too. High school football has degraded so bad.
The TSMCA board of directors made the decision to cancel our all star games this summer. This difficult decision was made on the basis of several factors and numerous logistical issues that unfortunately, prevent these events from occurring. Among them is the stadium in Wichita Falls will not be available for our use and the housing our athletes presented some obstacles that could not be overcome. Most importantly it is our focus and responsibility to keep our athletes safe and healthy. The coaching clinic itself will be held on a virtual basis only.
Just not the same, Sad to see.
Everyone Knows More
6-Man Fan

Return to Coaching vacancies