Happy Freezin New Year Y'all.

anything else?

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Happy Freezin New Year Y'all.

Postby 51eleven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm

I know many further North and West will have it worse but it's 29 now in my neck of the woods (over the hill from Stephenville) but it's not supposed to get above freezing until sometime Wednesday. Have I really been transported to say Follett? Freezing drizzle now, freezing rain maybe tomorrow, could be up to 1/2 inch and here for the duration. Worse than snow. The part that really worries me is that 15, 15, 17 starting tomorrow night. Last time I had a pipe bust, through inattention on my part was when it got down to 12 a few years back. 15's too close, over a multiple day period. I re wrapped a couple of out door pipes yesterday. I'll leave the faucets dripping. Chili meat in the freezer. A meaningless Cowboys game tomorrow. College ball I don't really care about Monday but something to watch. Thinking of re reading a couple of old Lamour/Kelton westerns. Might re watch some Longmire. Grandkids went home today. Anticipating cabin fever by Wednesday. A night early, Happy New Year everyone. Stay warm.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Re: Happy Freezin New Year Y'all.

Postby 51eleven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 pm

51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:38 pm

We just drove in from the Metromess and was in light mist and fog all the way. When we hit 16 off I-20 happened to glance at temp and it read 27. Stopped in Comanche and there was ice on front grill. Glad to be home............
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:03 pm

It's a balmy -1 here on my front porch in the frozen steppes of northern Illinoisy........
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 51eleven » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:38 am

Stuck on 20 the last hour. Just enough wet stuff to make it dangerous. What didn't freeze initially pooled and froze now in other spots. Saw the Fleur De Lis drop in the Big Easy signifying 2018 in CST. And new music to me before.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=im ... &FORM=VIRE
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby oldfat&bald » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:19 am

Happy New Year to all you crotchety old farts. I don’t know what it’s like today, but the highway between Eden and San Angelo was pretty slick about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Looked like one guy got a little upside down just south of Vancourt.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 am

oldfat&bald wrote:Happy New Year to all you crotchety old farts. I don’t know what it’s like today, but the highway between Eden and San Angelo was pretty slick about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Looked like one guy got a little upside down just south of Vancourt.

You were close, by Texas standards, to me..............shoulda stopped by for some beans..........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby oldfat&bald » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:47 pm

We talked about cutting over to Brady through Rochelle and RS. With the weather coming in we just took 71.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby granger » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:44 pm

We were driving in from Colorado and got to Abilene at 10 last night. The roads were real icy around there and the storm had been tracking sleet from that path all the way home, so we stopped for the night. Finished the drive this am. Abilene was bad, but once you got out of town, the roads were fine.
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby 51eleven » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:18 pm

smokeyjoe53 wrote:
oldfat&bald wrote:Happy New Year to all you crotchety old farts. I don’t know what it’s like today, but the highway between Eden and San Angelo was pretty slick about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Looked like one guy got a little upside down just south of Vancourt.

You were close, by Texas standards, to me..............shoulda stopped by for some beans..........

You counted the beans and stopped at 239... Reminds me of the first (contrived) gas shortage in the 70's and the bumper sticker from it "Eat More Beans, America Needs the Gas".
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 pm

granger wrote:We were driving in from Colorado and got to Abilene at 10 last night. The roads were real icy around there and the storm had been tracking sleet from that path all the way home, so we stopped for the night. Finished the drive this am. Abilene was bad, but once you got out of town, the roads were fine.

In a MSN article this morning about dangerous or Bitter cold from the Rockies to east coast and south Texas to Canada they were quoting the Abilene (TX) police chief about how many wrecks the had because of the ice. Then on the radio this afternoon I heard something about a Granbury woman being killed in an ice related wreck there.
Snow skiing in Colorado?
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:47 pm

This is an update of this mornings article. Three dozen wrecks in 24 hours.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 1fbcb693ba

I guess the Granbury wreck was Sunday morning. I came through there Saturday evening and it was drizzling but not yet sticking on the roads.

http://hcnews.com/pages/updates/woman-d ... -loop-567/
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Return to Non-sports related topics