A step closer to be real Texan

Traveling across the state of Texas can make a fan hungry. Share where you think the best places to eat are on the way to/from a game.

Moderators: granger, mjda76384, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

A step closer to be real Texan

Postby HP Drifter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am

I spent a while in New Mexico as a youth. Some of my "friends" do not consider me a true Texan. They say my formative years were bent while in the Land of Enchantment. They have a whole list of things that a person must do to become a True Texan. The list is not for mixed company, but did have a chance to mark one thing off this past week. I finally ate at Mary's Cafe in Strawn and had a chickenfry. A small which I an sure disqualifies me for State admittance. But was delicious.
HP Drifter
6-Man Fan

Re: A step closer to be real Texan

Postby 51eleven » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:01 am

While they may call it that on the menu there is no such thing as a small CFS at Mary's. If I eat the whole thing with fixin's I'm stuffed. Believe it or not they used to be even bigger a few years back. I'd eat until I was full and still have enough for a sandwich a day or two later.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby ol' gus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 pm

I've fed 2.5 people on the large several times.
What makes a true Texan anyways? I was born in England over Texas soil that was dug up a stones throw from Mary's. What counts? Coaching 6man for a million years should count for a lot I'd guess. So...
ol' gus
6-Man Fan

Postby HP Drifter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:29 am

Gus, will see if my friends will share the list with you.
HP Drifter
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 am

I don't guess I'm a "real"Texan since I've never indulged in Miss Mary's cuisine......... I guess the heritage of paternal great-great-grandparents who settled in western Llano County in the early 1850's after arriving from Germany(that land is still family owned by the way) and maternal precedents who fought for Texas Independence don't mean squat when compared to eating fried meat and potatoes...............
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby HP Drifter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 am

Smokey, may perhaps we will include you in any conversation that involves "True Texan"
HP Drifter
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 am

Wouldn't want to quash any of the true Texan's happiness. I forgot that my grandfather went up the trail on one of the last cattle drives as a 10 year old cooks helper or "Mary" as they were called........ so I guess maybe I qualify as having eaten at Mary's.............
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby HP Drifter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am

Tru that
HP Drifter
6-Man Fan

Return to Where should I eat?/Fajita Pete's Concession Stand Review