World Series--Astros

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Re: World Series--Astros

Postby oldfat&bald » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 pm

All I can say is the Astros fans don’t want to hear the words “One strike away from their first World Series Championship.”
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby Blue Bird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:41 pm

I once was an Astro fan. From the opening of the Astrodome to 74, at that time the local radio station stopped carrying the Astros and started carrying the Rangers. Didn't take me long to change my status, the Rangers were pretty good and the Astros were finishing last. The blockbuster trade that the Astros made with the Reds that basically set up the Reds on their World Series run in the early 70's didn't help my feelings for the Astro front office. They traded Joe Morgan, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo, and threw in Bob Aspromonte for Bobby Helms (2b), Jimmy Stewart??(utility infielder), ______Mays(1b), and Dennis Menke(3b). The main player that the Astros was after was the 1 baseman. They had finally got someone who could hit home runs in the Astrodome, he didn't of course. They kept him around for about 2 years while he hit about 200 and hit about 10 homers a year. Fun times to be an Astro fan let me tell you!!
Blue Bird
6-Man Fan

Postby Leman Saunders » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I've always been a Rangers fan, but I rooted for the Astros in 2005 (mainly bc I wanted to write a book titled The Curse of Shoeless Joe and the Sox winning basically killed that idea) and I'm rooting for them again in this one.

If I was around and had a spare $800 I would have tried to catch a game even...in 2010 I saw the final game of the WS and the ticket wasnt over $500.

Beating Kershaw was huge for the Astros

for the record Im not a fan of this new type of baseball where the 3 true outcomes happen more than ever...
Leman Saunders
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 pm

I was jealous of Houston as a pre and young teen. While I liked football a lot better I was told baseball was the National pastime. It was on TV a lot more and reported about there and in newspapers for a longer part of the year. Sandy Koufax, Lou Brock. Houston had the Astros, Professional Baseball, the AstroDome the worlds first enclosed stadium (I knew nothing about humidity or air conditioning at the time).
FW/D, prior to becoming the metromess, had no National pastime. Just the Deluxe Plowboys, Dandy Don, Bullet Bob, Chuck Howley, and Superman, Bob Lilly. They were in the NFL, not the afl.
Fall was always a welcome time. Maybe not just because of cooler weather or football but because I made thirty nine and holding for the twenty second time today. Go Hounds.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Before we had the Rangers there was the Colt 45's and the Astros,i listened to a many a Gene Elston calls and dang i cant remember his sidekick [now your chunking}? Was all we had ,other than picking up Jack Buck fading in and out at night on radio..........Last night was crazy,i'm sitting in Animal Kingdom Lodge in Orlando with a big early day scheduled for the morning,Like Granger stayed up most the night from excitement,wild game.......My sports heart cannot ever get broken any harder than ONE STRIKE AWAY not once but Twice!!!!!!! I feel for the city for what has and still is going thru,,,With that said,hopefully a World Series throphy will be coming to Houston..p.s. Granger you can still text me anytime you like..Peace
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Jack Buck? I thought his son did Football with Troy Aikman.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/1 ... uiced-ball
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Jack Buck--Joe Buck poppy--------------Rangers- St. Louis World Series...Joe Buck was so one sided,and still is,He was so much a Cardinal homer that series it was sickining...not so bad this series because houston was allways a NL team...Trick or Treat tomorrow......
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby olderelk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:17 am

markf wrote:Before we had the Rangers there was the Colt 45's and the Astros,i listened to a many a Gene Elston calls and dang i cant remember his sidekick [now your chunking}? Was all we had ,other than picking up Jack Buck fading in and out at night on radio..........

That would be "Loveable" Loel Passe, who I thought had to be the world's greatest homer.
(be sure to click on hear a clip of Loel Passe)
(Astro fans might want to click on hear a clip on all the announcers, many highlights here)
http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/MenMic
I was a fanatic fan from the very beginning, listened to all these guys. Have had my heart ripped out many, many times.
This has been a great year.
WS Games two and five, "unbelievable"
Hopefully this is the Astros year to win it all.
olderelk
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Great link...thanks for the memories...............COUNTDOWN________6 OUTS TO GO
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm

5 OUTS TO GO<<<Morton is on!
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 pm

4 outs to go
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 pm

3 outs.....to go..getting excited for you granger
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 pm

This one is for you Harvey..take that-----Congrats-Astros and my friend Granger......
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Texas History Made!
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby olderelk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks for the countdown and well wishes
World Series Champs
Has a nice ring to it