World Series--Astros

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

World Series--Astros

Postby markf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

not really a fan of the astros,but with what that city went thru, i cant help but pull for them,never did i hear the lone granger say that about the rangers when we were on top..lol...Good Luck Astros
markf
6-Man Fan

Re: World Series--Astros

Postby CleverUsername1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 pm

I hope the Dodgers destroy Houston. Bandwagon Astros fans are annoying as heck, I couldn't imagine what would happen if they won the World Series. It's frustrating because there are almost no true baseball fans in Texas. Most of them just switch between the Rangers and Astros depending on who's good at the moment.
CleverUsername1
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Bsaeball in Houston in late October? Bet the two former POTUS from Dallas and Houston are enthralled.
How are the Oilers doing this year?
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby olderelk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:54 am

CleverUsername1 wrote:It's frustrating because there are almost no true baseball fans in Texas. Most of them just switch between the Rangers and Astros depending on who's good at the moment.

What Ryan O'Neil said to Barbara Streisand after she told him love means never having to say you're sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ETkZmPNiM
olderelk
6-Man Fan

Postby smalltown » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:28 am

There are plenty of real baseball fans in Texas. I'm a ranger fan all the way. I like the astros ok but definitely not my top team but I will support them in the world series everytime simply because they are a Texas team.
smalltown
6-Man Fan

Postby CleverUsername1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

smalltown wrote:There are plenty of real baseball fans in Texas. I'm a ranger fan all the way. I like the astros ok but definitely not my top team but I will support them in the world series everytime simply because they are a Texas team.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Imo a true fan would never, ever root for a divisional rival. It'd be heresy if a Giants fan rooted for the Dodgers, or if the Cardinals cheered for the Cubs. Or, "gasp", if the Red Sox cheered for the Yankees. I have been a die hard Rangers fan since the Kevin Millwood, Hank Blalock, Mark Teixeira and Akinori Otsuka days, and I will never root for the Astros. It was different when they were a NL team though.
CleverUsername1
6-Man Fan

Postby Texman301 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 pm

You can be a true and loyal fan of your peronal team. But if they are not in the fight, you can ALWAYS be a loyal state of TEXAS fan...
Texman301
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 pm

51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm

i too remember listening to David Cylde debut,Ranger radio announcer Bill Mercer on the call,Ranger brass screwed him up by pitching him straight out of high school,trying,well not trying just to fill sits in the old ballpark..Looks like the dust will now be settled in LA..
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby Coach Adams » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:11 pm

This World Series is one of the best I've ever witnessed. I've been waiting my entire life to see the Astros play like this in the World Series. I as many Astros fans were disappointed with the sweep by the Chicago White Sox in 2005. But, we're making up for it. Just need to finish it off! #HoustonStrong #EarnHistory
Coach Adams
6-Man Fan

Postby starman17 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 am

David Clayde's dad got him a no minor league clause in his original contract. We played against Clyde in the bi-district series 1973 (Temple vs Houston Westchester)

Then we went to watch him pitch his first game for the Rangers. He was good!!!
starman17
11-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 am

starman17 wrote:David Clayde's dad got him a no minor league clause in his original contract. We played against Clyde in the bi-district series 1973 (Temple vs Houston Westchester)

Then we went to watch him pitch his first game for the Rangers. He was good!!!

On our senior trip in 1974, we went to a Rangers game with the Angels. Got to see Nolan Ryan vs. David Clyde. You could hear the catcher's glove pop out in the center field bleachers for both pitchers.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby granger » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:07 am

I'm a true baseball fan and was born and raised in South Texas.

I am also an Astros fan and have been my whole life. Back in the 70's in South Texas everyone was an Astros fan. The Rangers weren't any good and the Astros had some characters, my favorite being JR Richard ... and the Astrodome was always 72 degrees. We've had our share of heartbreak. The formative years of 1980 and 1986 stand out the most. In 2005, when I was able to attend game 4, I was just happy to have lived long enough to see my team play in the WS.

When the Rangers made it to the WS, I did not root for them. I secretly hoped they would lose because I am an Astros fan and I went to college with too many Mavs/Rangers fans who were obnoxious... now, I would've been happy for my friend markf had they won, because he is a true Rangers fan and we used to text often about these things. The only time I enjoyed watching the Rangers win a game would be when Nolan was pitching.

Last night was insane. I couldn't go to sleep afterwards. I had to get up at 5:30 to start getting the kids to school this am. Once they got where they needed to be, I went back home and fell asleep. I am as they say, 'working from home' this morning....
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby granger » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:58 am

I also want to state clearly, that my secretly wanting the Rangers to lose had everything to do with jealousy. I am big boy enough to admit that.
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CleverUsername1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I just thought about this, but in 2011 the Rangers were also up 3-2 in the WS before choking in games 6 and 7. They say history repeats itself...
CleverUsername1
6-Man Fan

Next

Return to Baseball