Pudge Rodriguez

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Pudge Rodriguez

Postby oneday » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 am

I can remember when he came up in 1991 and he caught the first big league game I ever saw in 1992 (rangers vs blue jays...rangers lost big time...like 15-4). I was a catcher and he was the catcher on my favorite team, therefor he was my favorite player. I followed his whole career...even wrote him a fan letter when I was in junior high...the only fan letter I have ever written...and even though he didn't respond, it didn't effect my opinion of him at all.

Seeing him retire causes me to not only reflect on him as a player and his career, but also my childhood and growing up and the process of life and growing older and one's mortality...

Dear Pudge,

Thanks for the memories and see you in 5 years at Cooperstown.

Sign,
A life long fan who wishes he could be 10 once more, watching his favorite player throw a runner out at 2nd
oneday
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Pudge Rodriguez

Postby oldfat&bald » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:25 pm

If you were 10 in '91, you're a heck of a lot younger than I thought you were.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby olderelk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 pm

And he threw out the first pitch in style!

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers and Ivan Rodriguez put a nice twist on the ceremonial first pitch prior to Monday's game.

Rodriguez went to the mound, but had his catcher's mitt on. Instead of throwing a pitch off the rubber, he trotted back behind home plate and former teammate Michael Young went to second base. Rodriguez's throw was, of course, on the money.
olderelk
6-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 pm

oneday wrote:I can remember when he came up in 1991 and he caught the first big league game I ever saw in 1992 (rangers vs blue jays...rangers lost big time...like 15-4). I was a catcher and he was the catcher on my favorite team, therefor he was my favorite player. I followed his whole career...even wrote him a fan letter when I was in junior high...the only fan letter I have ever written...and even though he didn't respond, it didn't effect my opinion of him at all.

Seeing him retire causes me to not only reflect on him as a player and his career, but also my childhood and growing up and the process of life and growing older and one's mortality...

Dear Pudge,

Thanks for the memories and see you in 5 years at Cooperstown.

Sign,
A life long fan who wishes he could be 10 once more, watching his favorite player throw a runner out at 2nd

I thoroughly enjoyed watching throw out runners on 1st from a crouch too. Only catcher I ever saw who could do that consistently.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby oneday » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I was at a game in 1994, the strike shortened season, at the Ballpark and the Rangers were playing the White Sox Pudge did a snap throw to 1st base and picked off the runner and I was sitting right there 1st base side...it was amazing...and the Rangers won 4-1 I believe...Greer I think hit a home run or made a great catch one...he was my 2nd favorite Ranger at the time
oneday
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby rainjacktx » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 am

I felt the same way about Johnny Bench.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Fri May 04, 2012 12:49 pm

rainjacktx wrote:I felt the same way about Johnny Bench.

Johnny was a better hitter, but Pudge had better skills as a catcher. Both were enjoyable to watch.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby route66 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Actually, their offensive stats are fairly even:
HR 389 to 311 Bench
BA .296 to .267 Rodriguez
RBI 1376 to 1332 Bench

However, there is no questioning the validity of Bench's accomplishments. Unfortunately, Rodriguez will always have that hanging over his head.
route66
6-Man Fan

Return to Baseball