Cut Block

Post your questions and TASO refs will answer them.

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

Re: Cut Block

Postby coachsatcher » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Put it this way, I just watched a scrimmmage and saw a slot, who is already lined up outside the box, run outside by 4-5 yards, and crack back inside on a lineman, and went low. So illegal it's not funny! Not to mention how dangerous. I'm not opposed to a crack-back block, but go stomach or chest high. Aiming at a knee from the side like this is ridiculous, especially when we were all sent the rule.
coachsatcher
6-Man Fan

Postby rainjacktx » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:57 am

That answered my question. Thanks. I'd bet that all BBW will become illegal in the near future.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan

Postby Stripes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:03 am

coachsatcher wrote:I get your question, and if they're lined up in the spread, the rules really haven't changed. The five yard rule is still in effect. In a traditional j-bird, the second guy from the center is, by definition, the tackle. Which means, anyone outside of him, whether its a slot, or receiver, is not allowed to come inside the box and cut. It also doesn't allow running backs, to run outside the box, and then come back in to cut, which happens every Friday night in 6-man. I'm sure I'm in the minority, bbut I'm glad for the change. I saw too many kids coming back into plays, and throwing a low block on defenders. Too dangerous and I've been complaining about it for a few years. Glad to see someone else realized how dangerous it is.

Point of clarification on "it also doesn't allow running backs, to tun outside the box, and then come back in to cut."

Once the ball crosses the neutral zone, there is no prohibition on a player cutting "back toward the original position of the ball" or "inside" or anything like that as long as the cut block is from the front (10-2). So if that back is coming out of the backfield, going wide, and then coming back inside the cut, he's okay as long as the ball has crosses the neutral zone. If the ball is still behind the neutral zone, it's a foul.

Tough to officiate, especially with a 4-man crew.
Stripes
6-Man Fan

Previous

Return to Ask a ref!