Centers in shotgun formation -- 1 second protection?

Post your questions and TASO refs will answer them.

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

Centers in shotgun formation -- 1 second protection?

Postby waynea » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 pm

I would almost swear that I read that centers get a 1 second protection against being hit when a team is in "Kick" or "Shotgun" formation. Now I cant' find it. Am I crazy? Did I make it up. Looking for help from a friendly "zebra".
waynea
6-Man Fan

Re: Centers in shotgun formation -- 1 second protection?

Postby Leman Saunders » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:04 pm

posted on the coaches' association's website...looks like a 2008 rule change that you are talking about...I don't know it has changed since then or not...

http://www.texassixmancoachesassociatio ... ction.html
Leman Saunders
6-Man Fan

Postby Legacy Zebra » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:09 am

Not in shotgun formation. That protection only exists in scrimmage kick formations. A scrimmage kick formation is when you have at least one player 7 or more yards deep, nobody in position to take a hand to hand snap, AND it is obvious a kick may be attempted. So if you're just running your normal offense from a shotgun set, your center gets no extra protection.
Legacy Zebra
6-Man Fan

Postby fencewire » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:36 am

Legacy, that is not correct, the change was made several years ago giving the snapper in shotgun formation the same protection as a snapper in scrimmage kick formation in six-man. This is from the 2014 six-man rules exceptions...

(9-1-14) 1. When a team is in an offensive or scrimmage kick formation, and no player is in position to take a hand to hand snap, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap.
fencewire
6-Man Fan

Postby Legacy Zebra » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:04 pm

You're right. I was coming back to say that. I missed it the first time. Thanks for the correction.
Legacy Zebra
6-Man Fan

Return to Ask a ref!