Second Amendment

anything else?

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Re: Second Amendment

Postby oldfat&bald » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am

Also, if you think that human nature has changed enough in the past 225 years to think we don’t need protection from our government, you flat ain’t been paying attention lately.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby True Shot » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 am

We don't have a gun problem; we have a human problem! Plain and simple.
True Shot
6-Man Fan

Postby topher80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm

The wording in the constitution presents a whole heap of problems in itself...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I read that as it is a militia, such as the modern day National Guard, who should be armed and willing to defend against governmental tyranny. Naturally, the wording can be read and interpreted a number of ways to support one's point of view/beliefs.

I pray for the senseless killing of innocent citizens to end.
topher80
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Well topher, if you removed the punctuation I might agree. But since the punctuation is present, I interpret the militia to be a separate entity and the “ people” another.........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby topher80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 pm

And that is why the wording sucks... lousy commas, ruining absolutely, positively, everything. ;)
topher80
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Yeah , y’all don’t use many commas or periods up in the frozen north............. at least when speaking..........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby topher80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 pm

LOL we just 'eh' instead of commas. ;)

I really hope that y'all find a solution to this problem. Of course there will be some who are happy and others who are not but something needs to be done to stop the madness. I keep my friends in the six man community in my prayers every night.
topher80
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:45 pm

OFB, I don't think Our government is ours anymore. It's owned by some would say corporate interests which to me is just the 1% that own the corporations. Democrat Conservative Republican Liberal labeling just doesn't work for me anymore. I wish I could still afford to hunt on a lease, not much game on my 15 acres on the road near town. But I most definitely want to be able to protect my family and myself from any threats.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby topher80 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't understand the mindset of having to own a gun to protect one's family against an outside threat. Is that threat other people or the government or ???

The vast majority of Canadians and Irish (I spent a lot of my childhood with family in Ireland) don't think they have to protect their loved ones or property with firearms. Mind you, the Irish are so wasted most of the time they wouldn't notice the good china missing from the dining room! LOL

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not saying it is wrong to believe in your heart that you need guns to protect what is dear to you, quite the contrary. It is your right according to your constitution. I would love to hear more about this so that I can better understand it.
topher80
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Well topher, in my case I like an AR to keep hogs out of the wife’s flowers. I keep a shotgun and a 1911 close by in the house to keep the meth heads at bay. I carry pistols in all vehicles for the same reason. These idiots think nothing of coming into occupied houses at any time. For that reason I am armed at all times. I’m too decrepit to get into a wrestling match with one or two and response time for law is a minimum of 20 minutes.
Does that explain things?
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby oldfat&bald » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:30 pm

I’m about 30 years younger than you Smokey, but I ain’t getting into a wrasslin’ match with any methheads either. It’s too easy for someone to slip a knife into a fist fight. I’ve got an old Model 10 Smith in the house. My wife and kids know how to use it too. The manual of arms on the the 1911 was more complicated than I had patience to teach them.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby topher80 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Holy moly, that is really scary. Meth is that big of a problem in the great Republic of Texas? I don't blame you guys for wanting to keep those tweaked out nutters off your property... what is the local health unit doing to help addicts get off meth?
topher80
6-Man Fan

Postby oldfat&bald » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

topher80 wrote:what is the local health unit doing to help addicts get off meth?

I don’t know that we have a local health unit. The meth is bad in Dawson County. I won’t go into it publicly, but I could tell a few stories. The law ain’t doing much if any thing to get the crap off the streets.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Law takes one off the streets and 10 more pop up to fill the void.........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 am

topher80 wrote:Holy moly, that is really scary. Meth is that big of a problem in the great Republic of Texas? I don't blame you guys for wanting to keep those tweaked out nutters off your property... what is the local health unit doing to help addicts get off meth?

As we've kind of drifted off topic, but it's related... it's not just Texas. I've read of meth being the scourge of the least populated state (Wyoming - up there closer to Canada) as well as inner cities across the country. It creates bold late night thieves among users as I know from personal experience. Junkies, dealers and cooks will kill over it. I think it's worse than opioid's though they're bad and in the news more.
Sorry to rant, personal pet peeve.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Non-sports related topics