NUKE Map

anything else?

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Old Bearkat, Red_Devil_DDS

NUKE Map

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Want to see who else gets taken out if the Norks drop a big one on Garden City, Richland Springs, Strawn, Union Hill, or Gail?

Go to https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ type in the town name, then the yield in kilotons, and click detonate.

5 megaton bomb = 5000 kilotons
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: NUKE Map

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm

What fun.............. Let's scratch some chalkboards next..........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 pm

smokeyjoe53 wrote:What fun.............. Let's scratch some chalkboards next..........

Hey, nothing wrong with a little nuclear geekery.......
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Postby Red_Devil_DDS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:21 pm

I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes last year. Utterly fascinating. At its height the Manhattan Project was larger than the US automobile industry.
Red_Devil_DDS
Administrator of Pain

Postby 51eleven » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Glad we're all still here to discuss it.

https://www.amazon.com/Missiles-October ... B00005JXI7
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am

Red_Devil_DDS wrote:I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes last year. Utterly fascinating. At its height the Manhattan Project was larger than the US automobile industry.

I read that book too. It was interesting.

The professor I had for basic nuclear physics at UT had been a junior physicist on the Manhattan Project during the war. He was assigned to Los Alamos and had some really interesting stories about his time there. What I thought was most striking was his description of the computing section. It was a bunch of women with mechanical calculators who would take inputs from the mathematicians who took the physicists equations and broke them down into a series of basic arithmetic steps. There were several Quonset huts with 30-40 women in each one cranking out the calculations. He said it was quite noisy. There were a few primitive computers back then, but they were all employed doing ballistic calculations for the Army and Navy artillery. Slide rules were not exact enough so they used this method.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Postby Red_Devil_DDS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Old Bearkat wrote:
Red_Devil_DDS wrote:I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes last year. Utterly fascinating. At its height the Manhattan Project was larger than the US automobile industry.

The professor I had for basic nuclear physics at UT had been a junior physicist on the Manhattan Project during the war. He was assigned to Los Alamos and had some really interesting stories about his time there. What I thought was most striking was his description of the computing section. It was a bunch of women with mechanical calculators who would take inputs from the mathematicians who took the physicists equations and broke them down into a series of basic arithmetic steps. There were several Quonset huts with 30-40 women in each one cranking out the calculations. He said it was quite noisy. There were a few primitive computers back then, but they were all employed doing ballistic calculations for the Army and Navy artillery. Slide rules were not exact enough so they used this method.

Wow I bet those huts got really hot with that many people in the Los Alamos desert.

The book didn’t have a ton of technical information, but the amount of research that went into all facets is staggering as evidenced by the hundred or so people just doing calculations. The explosive lens developed by von Neumann blows my mind.

All that culminated at Trinity when everyone kind of collectively wondered, “What have we done?!”

Did your prof witness the Trinity?
Red_Devil_DDS
Administrator of Pain

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 am

Red_Devil_DDS wrote:
Old Bearkat wrote:

Wow I bet those huts got really hot with that many people in the Los Alamos desert.

The book didn’t have a ton of technical information, but the amount of research that went into all facets is staggering as evidenced by the hundred or so people just doing calculations. The explosive lens developed by von Neumann blows my mind.

All that culminated at Trinity when everyone kind of collectively wondered, “What have we done?!”

Did your prof witness the Trinity?

Yes. He was in a bunker about 20 miles away.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Return to Non-sports related topics