The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

anything else?

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby rainjacktx » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am

They're sticking little red marker flags in ground up in Briscoe County to indicate where the windmills are going to go.

As a conservative libertarian, I think the whole wind-power effort is nothing but a complete waste of government money, and the pinnacle of crony-capitalist wealth redistribution.

As the spouse of a girl who potentially stands to own about 3 of those turbines - each contractually obligated to produce a minimum of $9600 in royalties per year for 30 years - they can't build the stupid things fast enough.

I am conflicted.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby Old Bearkat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 am

rainjacktx wrote:They're sticking little red marker flags in ground up in Briscoe County to indicate where the windmills are going to go.

As a conservative libertarian, I think the whole wind-power effort is nothing but a complete waste of government money, and the pinnacle of crony-capitalist wealth redistribution.

As the spouse of a girl who potentially stands to own about 3 of those turbines - each contractually obligated to produce a minimum of $9600 in royalties per year for 30 years - they can't build the stupid things fast enough.

I am conflicted.


Think about how having $3 in tax money going to the windfarm company so they can make a nickel in profit.
User avatar
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Minooka, IL
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby freeagent » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 am

rainjacktx wrote:They're sticking little red marker flags in ground up in Briscoe County to indicate where the windmills are going to go.

As a conservative libertarian, I think the whole wind-power effort is nothing but a complete waste of government money, and the pinnacle of crony-capitalist wealth redistribution.

As the spouse of a girl who potentially stands to own about 3 of those turbines - each contractually obligated to produce a minimum of $9600 in royalties per year for 30 years - they can't build the stupid things fast enough.

I am conflicted.


Cash the checks.
User avatar
freeagent
6Man Authority
 
Posts: 8086
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Seguin, Texas, The World

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby rainjacktx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 am

Old Bearkat wrote:
Think about how having $3 in tax money going to the windfarm company so they can make a nickel in profit.


Yeah. That makes everyone getting paid royalties for wind a defacto welfare recipient.

Like I said - I am conflicted. $30K per year worth of conflicted. And my wife's part is small potatoes compared to what many folks could potentially receive.

One client has 16 flags in the ground on his property. Another client is pushing 40 potential wind towers.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby oldfat&bald » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 am

What happens to that contract when the government subsidy runs out and the company goes bankrupt? You may get stuck with three huge hazards on your property that will be expensive to get rid of. At least that's better than having 40 of them.
oldfat&bald
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2831
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: The Beautiful South Plains of W TX

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby rainjacktx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 pm

oldfat&bald wrote:What happens to that contract when the government subsidy runs out and the company goes bankrupt? You may get stuck with three huge hazards on your property that will be expensive to get rid of. At least that's better than having 40 of them.


Thinking that the wind energy royalties will last much longer than 5 years is silly. But the reality is that it looks like - at least up here in Briscoe County - they are going to be constructed. The leases I have seen pay the landowner $10,000 for each tower upon the commencement of construction. Supposedly, that is to pay for damages due to construction.

Then there's the royalty payments to occur after that.

How much would it cost to have a tower removed, assuming none of the leases last the full 30-year term? there's a lot of scrap metal to be salvaged, so it would not be all that cost prohibitive to remove the tower itself. The cost is going to be reclaiming the ground occupied by multiple, multiple yards of concrete and rebar. I'd imagine a cottage industry of windmill reclamation would spring up to help mitigate the unsightly mess. For a nominal fee, of course.

I guess you could learn to farm around the concrete slabs, but - in the case of the 40 windmill client - if I make $800K the first year, what's my incentive to do anything?

I understand your arguments and, as I have said, any land owner (or taxing authority) looking at wind energy as a long term income stream is an idiot. I guess I'm just saying that money drowns out most all words of caution. And in Briscoe Co. - first year income from most towers constructed will be $19.6K per tower - minimum. General money-fueled local wisdom is that there will never be another dry season. Or, more appropriately, another windless day.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Sounds like the windmills are kinda like deer hunters. Novo body likes to put up with them but sure do enjoy the money they drop every season.
User avatar
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 6110
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Tartarus

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby rainjacktx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm

smokeyjoe53 wrote:Sounds like the windmills are kinda like deer hunters. Novo body likes to put up with them but sure do enjoy the money they drop every season.


Kinda sorta just like that. I've been hanging out with way too many yankees. More words are better, aka, baffle them with bs. Seems lately I rely on hayseeds to accurately interpret those words. No offense.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm about the seediest hayseed around....... I got my doctorate in ruralese......
User avatar
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 6110
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Tartarus

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby Old Bearkat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 am

rainjacktx wrote:
oldfat&bald wrote:What happens to that contract when the government subsidy runs out and the company goes bankrupt? You may get stuck with three huge hazards on your property that will be expensive to get rid of. At least that's better than having 40 of them.


Thinking that the wind energy royalties will last much longer than 5 years is silly. But the reality is that it looks like - at least up here in Briscoe County - they are going to be constructed. The leases I have seen pay the landowner $10,000 for each tower upon the commencement of construction. Supposedly, that is to pay for damages due to construction.

Then there's the royalty payments to occur after that.

How much would it cost to have a tower removed, assuming none of the leases last the full 30-year term? there's a lot of scrap metal to be salvaged, so it would not be all that cost prohibitive to remove the tower itself. The cost is going to be reclaiming the ground occupied by multiple, multiple yards of concrete and rebar. I'd imagine a cottage industry of windmill reclamation would spring up to help mitigate the unsightly mess. For a nominal fee, of course.

I guess you could learn to farm around the concrete slabs, but - in the case of the 40 windmill client - if I make $800K the first year, what's my incentive to do anything?

I understand your arguments and, as I have said, any land owner (or taxing authority) looking at wind energy as a long term income stream is an idiot. I guess I'm just saying that money drowns out most all words of caution. And in Briscoe Co. - first year income from most towers constructed will be $19.6K per tower - minimum. General money-fueled local wisdom is that there will never be another dry season. Or, more appropriately, another windless day.


Get ready for a feral cat population explosion due to all the dead birds at the base of each tower......
User avatar
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Minooka, IL
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby rainjacktx » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:37 am

Which is worse? A feral cat explosion, or a the feral hog explosion we have now? I'm thinking cats are WAY easier to kill. Might even be fun - like prairie dogs only a little speedier.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby Old Bearkat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:16 am

rainjacktx wrote:Which is worse? A feral cat explosion, or a the feral hog explosion we have now? I'm thinking cats are WAY easier to kill. Might even be fun - like prairie dogs only a little speedier.


Hmmmmmm.....Taco Bell or Panda Express might like that idea too.....
User avatar
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Minooka, IL
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby rainjacktx » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 am

Old Bearkat wrote:
rainjacktx wrote:Which is worse? A feral cat explosion, or a the feral hog explosion we have now? I'm thinking cats are WAY easier to kill. Might even be fun - like prairie dogs only a little speedier.


Hmmmmmm.....Taco Bell or Panda Express might like that idea too.....


If you see a Chinese buffet in Silverton after the windmills go up, be scared. Be very scared.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby CowboyP » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm

rainjacktx wrote:
Old Bearkat wrote:
rainjacktx wrote:Which is worse? A feral cat explosion, or a the feral hog explosion we have now? I'm thinking cats are WAY easier to kill. Might even be fun - like prairie dogs only a little speedier.


Hmmmmmm.....Taco Bell or Panda Express might like that idea too.....


If you see a Chinese buffet in Silverton after the windmills go up, be scared. Be very scared.

Try it, you might like it.
User avatar
CowboyP
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 6530
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm
Location: Aquilla Sixmaniac
Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: The Future of all Those West Texas Windfarms

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Pretty sure I've had dog and possibly kittykat. I used to frequent some somewhat questionable dining establishments across the border back in the '60's........ Didn't seem to bother me much other than some uncontrollable leg shaking .........
User avatar
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 6110
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:01 am
Location: Tartarus

PreviousNext

Return to Non-sports related topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests