Nazareth story

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, Red_Devil_DDS, Old Bearkat

Nazareth story

Postby granger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 am

I found this on a North Carolina news website. I assume this was on TV somewhere.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?secti ... id=5015316

It mentions they are eligible for six-man, but...
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby High Plains Drifter » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:03 am

The same story was on ESPN.com last week. I thought it was an excellent story and kind of sad when you realize if something is not done, they could lose their school. Many small schools have similar circumstances and problems. Good luck to the Swifts.
High Plains Drifter
6-Man Fan

Postby Red_Devil_DDS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:02 pm

It is sad. What I find even more sad are the schools that DO have the tax base to stay open, but the State deems is necessary to rake them over the coals. They think that throwing a bunch of $$$ at the inner city educational situation is going to solve it, but it won't.
Red_Devil_DDS
Administrator of Pain

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:14 pm

Excellent article on the plight of many small schools. I did not know that the school was in that bad a financial condition. It may be only a matter of time before they are forced to consolidate with someone. Then the town will probably die like others in that area that have closed their schools.

My prediction: The state will make all small schools within 20 miles of each other consolidate to try to solve the funding problem. Places like Ft. Davis, Grandfalls, Rankin, Garden City, Sterling City, Mertzon, might be safe for a few more years, but schools like Nazareth, Amherst, Whitharrall, Wilson, Loop, Klondike, Sands, Westbrook, and Loraine will be consolidated with each other or a nearby bigger school.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:17 pm

Red_Devil_DDS wrote:It is sad. What I find even more sad are the schools that DO have the tax base to stay open, but the State deems is necessary to rake them over the coals. They think that throwing a bunch of $$$ at the inner city educational situation is going to solve it, but it won't.

That situation won't change until the parents of those inner city kids start to care. As long as they consider it a place to get rid of the kids for a while, or a sports training camp, these schools will never improve no matter how much tax money is wasted on them. That's a national problem. IMHO, the "P" word is a solution worth trying.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Postby Coyote_Grad » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:47 pm

Would just cause alot of people to lose jobs, towns to die, more people moving into cities, which would add to the congestion already being felt in most large cities, and less kids having opportunities to participate in athletics and other events. And the problem of funding will still not be solved.
Coyote_Grad
6-Man Fan

Postby Red_Devil_DDS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:32 pm

The "P" word? I'd ask, but markf would probably say that's it something different that what you're meaning...
Red_Devil_DDS
Administrator of Pain

Postby Old Bearkat » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Privatization

It had to be whispered to keep the NEA and federal educrats from sending our search and destroy patrols.
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Return to Basketball