D-1 Picks Down the Stretch

For private and home school teams, this is the place.

Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

D-1 Picks Down the Stretch

Postby Birdman96 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

As District comes to a close and playoffs start soon, who you got in TAPPS D-1? I can’t remember this many teams all with a legitimate shot like this year has. Dallas Lutheran is hungry for a repeat. Emery is looking back to form this year. San Jac and Veritas are finally healthy and playing at a high level. Giddings, Gainesville and Waco Vangaurd all look like they are gonna have a shot at it. Who will emerge?
Birdman96
11-Man Fan

Re: D-1 Picks Down the Stretch

Postby jaguars_rule » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:52 pm

I am an Emery fan, but assuming everything goes as hoped in this final weekend of the season, they are going to have a tough road in the playoffs.

If Emery beats Faith West and Giddings beats Sugar Land Logos Prep, Giddings will be the Tapps D1- Dist 3 champ and Emery will be 2nd. As the Dist 3 - 2nd place team, Emery may face Amarillo San Jac in the first round, the winner of that game would face the Dist 2 champ(Veritas or Waco Vanguard assuming that team wins its 1st round game) , winner of that game would face Dallas Lutheran(assuming it wins all earlier playoff games) to then get the State championship game. That is a tough road to the finals!
jaguars_rule
11-Man Fan

Postby Birdman96 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 pm

jaguars_rule wrote:I am an Emery fan, but assuming everything goes as hoped in this final weekend of the season, they are going to have a tough road in the playoffs.

If Emery beats Faith West and Giddings beats Sugar Land Logos Prep, Giddings will be the Tapps D1- Dist 3 champ and Emery will be 2nd. As the Dist 3 - 2nd place team, Emery may face Amarillo San Jac in the first round, the winner of that game would face the Dist 2 champ(Veritas or Waco Vanguard assuming that team wins its 1st round game) , winner of that game would face Dallas Lutheran(assuming it wins all earlier playoff games) to then get the State championship game. That is a tough road to the finals!

That IS one heck of a tough road!
Birdman96
11-Man Fan

Postby Lionsbacker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Emery vs San Jac....I am picking a healthy San Jac on that one.

Lutheran has had a few injuries and illnesses (flu bug), Getting healthy and ready for stretch run.
Lionsbacker
6-Man Fan

Postby UncleRico » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Lionsbacker wrote:Emery vs San Jac....I am picking a healthy San Jac on that one.

Lutheran has had a few injuries and illnesses (flu bug), Getting healthy and ready for stretch run.

@Lionsbacker, since Lakehill is playing Emery instead of San Jac, what did you see from lakehill last friday, what is their outlook? Who are you picking in this matchup?
UncleRico
11-Man Fan

Postby headspeed » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 pm

I've watched some film. The TAPPS D1 playoff field looks deeper, or at least more competitive, than the past few years. Who comes through this weekend?

My humble opinions, freely offered, and worth every bit of what you paid for them:
Austin Hill Country keeps it closer than Granger's algorithm predicts, but goes down to Sugarland Logos Prep by 18.

Dallas Lutheran wins going away against...oh yeah, they got a first round bye. Nice work TAPPS. Related: Lionsbacker forced to wait another week to enthusiastically support his team in these parts.

Dallas Lakehill Prep runs into the offensive buzz saw that is the #2-ranked Houston Emery Weiner Jaguars. Over at halftime, or at the latest, early 3rd quarter.

Austin Veritas is peaking at the right time (ouch Vanguard), and covers the 23-points against Denton Calvary on Saturday.

Amarillo San Jacinto rewards a long road trip by Marble Falls Faith with a competitive game first quarter, then goes Steelers vs. Panthers with a decisive defensive score, a bunch of offense, and an early finish. Pass the sticks.

Giddings State, the top-ranked team in the tournament, shows why against Round Rock Christian. Over at half.

San Antonio Lutheran plays one of its best games of the season and keeps it close late into the first half, Gainesville pulls away and finishes it in the 3rd.

Finally, in the most competitive game of the 1st round, Waco Vanguard and Katy Faith West go four quarters and Vanguard wins on a 38-yard field goal with :30 seconds left, then holds on for the victory.

Lionsbacker, we'd still love to hear from you anyway. Birdman and WarEagle, you're bound to have some thoughts. Old76'er, jaguars_rule, test_em and DB Bulldog, what games are you going to watch this weekend? And UncleRico, that's a nice grab on your username. Wish I would have thought of it..."If coach woulda just put me in in the state game...I coulda gone pro" Safe travels, safe play to all!
headspeed
11-Man Fan

Postby DirtyBayBulldog » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm

I'll be watching Dirty Bay Dawgs Friday and Emery game on Saturday.
DirtyBayBulldog
6-Man Fan

Postby Birdman96 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:07 pm

I’ve never quite understood who gets a bye and who doesn’t. I think we learn a lot this week. Dallas Lakehill has been really competitive so I’m interested to see how their game with Emery turns out. Veritas completely dominated a good Vangaurd team. So assuming Veritas beats Denton Calvary, that next game with Veritas Vs Emery or Lakehill will be a dog fight.
Birdman96
11-Man Fan

Postby jaguars_rule » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 pm

I will be at the Emery - Lakehill game cheering on the JAGS. Headspeed I like your prediction of the game being over in the 3rd quarter, but I will be happy to just have the W at this time tomorrow night.

I was very surprised to see the Waco Vanguard / Veritas score from last weekend and interested in how their game with Katy Faith West turns out. I have not seen Vanguard play, but Katy has some big hitters on their team and I am sure they will come ready to play.

Sugarland Logos can put up some points, but I don't know anything about Austin Hill Country other than they played Giddings pretty close in the 1st game of the season, which counts for something.

I think Veritas, Giddings and Gainesville will win their games going away, nothing against their competition, but they are strong teams and ranked at the top of the division for a reason.
jaguars_rule
11-Man Fan

Postby UncleRico » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Thanks for the love @headspeed. Your prediction for the Logos game wasn't exactly correct. I saw somewhere that Logos ended up winning by 50. In my opinion, the two best TAPPS D1 games this weekend are Faith West vs Waco (I'm picking FW by 25) and Lakehill vs Emery (really don't know who I like here, gonna go Emery by 5). Very interested to see the results of these two. Also I'm gonna go head and say that I think Veritas is pretty much a lock for State. They're playing some pretty good football down in Austin.
UncleRico
11-Man Fan

Postby headspeed » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:24 am

Yeah, gotta give Logos respect for that one. Just know, 50% of the time, I'm right all of the time.
headspeed
11-Man Fan

Postby headspeed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:05 am

I see now that Lucas Christian forfeited their first round game against Dallas Lutheran. I retract my criticism of TAPPS’s bracketeering. It’s perfect.
headspeed
11-Man Fan

Return to Private School Topics