TAPPS realignment is out.

For private and home school teams, this is the place.

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

Re: TAPPS realignment is out.

Postby pup » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:46 am

puldude wrote:I will just say that our Football Coaches are not happy with the line up. Seems to be too few in Div 1 and too many in Div 2. The district we have been ailigned with is good but goodness gracious by jimminy...

So what are they unhappy about? Don't like being paired with Seguin and Cedar Park? Bigger districts make scheduling easier. Bigger districts make district games meaningful. Bigger division makes earning a playoff bid very meaningful. Bigger division makes the State Title a true accomplishment. I like it. In my opinion, the three division system was a farce. Too much of the, "Everyone gets a trophy" philosophy. Too many teams made the playoffs only to get crushed in the first round. Now we will have teams that are fighting to make the playoffs and teams that truly deserve being there.

I don't think it will fly, though. Can you imagine how many phone calls TAPPS is getting right now? How many schools are considering not fielding a team or pulling out of TAPPS? If I remember correctly, TAPPS floated the two division system two years ago to then go with three. 21 schools in DI and 41 in DII....so what? The big schools don't have to worry about numbers and fielding a team. The small schools that do have those worries will be playing against schools that are in a similar boat. Schools worried about not making the playoffs need to quit whining and step up. There are some very important life lessons in football, one of them is facing that gorilla in your way. Another is earning your goal and being grateful for achieving it- not whining about not getting a shot.
pup
6-Man Fan

Postby VanguardVikings » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:00 am

I can tell you that our numbers did not change much in the past two years, what did change was the range for the classifications.

Here was the criteria for 2014-2016:

5A Enrollment Average 391 and above
4A Enrollment Average 191 - 391
3A Enrollment Average 106 – 191
2A Enrollment Average 60 – 105
1A Enrollment Average 59 and below

For 2016-2018:

6A Enrollment Average 398 and above
5A Enrollment Average 223 to 397
4A Enrollment Average 141 to 222
3A Enrollment Average 101 to 140
2A Enrollment Average 71 to 100
1A Enrollment Average 70 and below
VanguardVikings
6-Man Fan

Postby jeffn86 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:28 pm

If anyone has insight as to what the cutoff determination was, that would be helpful. From looking at current enrollment numbers of the listed schools, it appears that maybe they put 1A & 2A sixman schools in Division II, (i.e. less than 101 students). The only school in D2 that I see with a current enrollment over 100 is Brazosport at 106 (but I know TAPPS usually uses the 4-year enrollment avg.).
However, in the past, football has been determined by boys enrollment, which I don't see on the TAPPS site anymore (they used to list these numbers on the old website).
If my assumption is correct and it's 0-100 avg in D2 and 101+ in D1, then I think it is great. If they aren't going to put a cap on six-man enrollment, then the larger schools probably need their own division.
I also only saw eight schools with enrollments under 50, so the idea of 3 divisions only weakens TAPPS 6-man.
I'd even be in favor of 1 6-man division with a true playoff, IF TAPPS put an enrollment cap on 6-man.
I like larger divisions, larger districts and the opportunity to play more cross-sectional games within the division.
We have been in D1 for the past 4 seasons, and in my opinion, it was much better when there were two divisions. It looks like we will be D2 next season possibly, and that's exciting to get an opportunity to create some rivalries with nearby schools that we would otherwise be separated from with the 3-division setup.
For those that are complaining or making phone calls to TAPPS, be careful what you wish for.
jeffn86
6-Man Fan

Postby puldude » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:22 pm

pup wrote:
puldude wrote:I will just say that our Football Coaches are not happy with the line up. Seems to be too few in Div 1 and too many in Div 2. The district we have been ailigned with is good but goodness gracious by jimminy...

So what are they unhappy about? Don't like being paired with Seguin and Cedar Park? Bigger districts make scheduling easier. Bigger districts make district games meaningful. Bigger division makes earning a playoff bid very meaningful. Bigger division makes the State Title a true accomplishment. I like it. In my opinion, the three division system was a farce. Too much of the, "Everyone gets a trophy" philosophy. Too many teams made the playoffs only to get crushed in the first round. Now we will have teams that are fighting to make the playoffs and teams that truly deserve being there.

I don't think it will fly, though. Can you imagine how many phone calls TAPPS is getting right now? How many schools are considering not fielding a team or pulling out of TAPPS? If I remember correctly, TAPPS floated the two division system two years ago to then go with three. 21 schools in DI and 41 in DII....so what? The big schools don't have to worry about numbers and fielding a team. The small schools that do have those worries will be playing against schools that are in a similar boat. Schools worried about not making the playoffs need to quit whining and step up. There are some very important life lessons in football, one of them is facing that gorilla in your way. Another is earning your goal and being grateful for achieving it- not whining about not getting a shot.
puldude
11-Man Fan

Postby puldude » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Tons of calls would be correct. I would not want to be on the receiving end.
puldude
11-Man Fan

Postby yung'en » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 pm

TAPPS wins this realignment IMO.

Competition is better. Districts are bigger. Playoffs will be more competitive across the board.

Happy customer here!
yung'en
6-Man Fan

Postby freeagent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Having taken a quick look at the new alignment, a couple things stand out ...

1. Weighting the cut between D1 and D2 to the "advantage" of the D2 schools isn't a bad idea. The smaller schools are more likely to drop due to numbers and injuries ... my guess is that there probably was a pretty clear dividing line between the D1 and D2 numbers.

TAPPS made the call two years ago to lift the cap for 6 man football participation; Emery and Giddings were probably the two schools most affected; Giddings, by nature of their facility, has a significant limit on participants due to (1) state rules concerning who among their enrollment can participate and (2) the willingness of judges throughout the state to enroll students at that facility, if you get my drift. Emery is one of those schools that will just not draw big football numbers. While numbers help when it comes to six man, you still can only play 6 at a time and it depends on your six vs my six.

2. As expected, Bryan Allen made the switch back to TAPPS. I'm a little disappointed that San Antonio Atonement didn't make the move back to TAPPS. By the way, in 11-man (aka "crowded field football,"), San Marcos Academy came back to TAPPS after a two year trip to TCAL and San Antonio St. Marys Hall moved from SPC to TAPPS.

3. Only move from 6 man to 11 man is Pasadena First Baptist Christian.

4. I guess John Rabon and Tim Shipman will have to decide what week they want to meet in non-district. This would be the first time since 2003 that those two schools were not in the same football district (in 2003, Lifegate was able to work into a district during their first season with the closure of Castroville Daystar; they had all the other district schools on their schedule except one and Lifegate was able to schedule that game; Heritage played an independent schedule for their first two years, 2002 and 2003, before joining a TAPPS district in 2004 and winning their first state title that year.
freeagent
6Man Authority

Postby freeagent » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:30 pm

TAPPS 2016-2018 Alignment - 6 Man Football
Schools in Bold did not participate in 2015

Division I

District 1
Abilene Christian Schools
Denton Calvary Academy
Midland Trinity
Watauga Harvest Christian

District 2
Dallas Lakehill Prep School
Dallas Lutheran
Ovilla Christian
Rockwall Heritage Christian

District 3
Austin Brentwood Christian
Austin Hill Country Christian
Round Rock Christian
Round Rock Concordia Academy
Waco Vanguard

District 4
Austin Veritas Academy
San Antonio Castle Hills First Baptist School
San Antonio Lutheran High
Kerrville Our Lady of the Hills

District 5
Giddings State School
Houston Emery/Weiner High School
Katy Faith West Academy
Spring Providence Classical

6 Man Football Division II

District 1
Amarillo Holy Cross Catholic
El Paso Jesus Chapel
Plainview Christian
Lubbock Christ the King
Wichita Christian School
Wichita Falls Notre Dame

District 2
Brownwood Victory Life Academy
Fort Worth Covenant Classical
Granbury NCTA
Temple Holy Trinity Catholic High School
Waco Live Oak Classical

District 3
Carrollton Christian Academy
Dallas Fairhill
Dallas Tyler Street Christian Academy*
Heath The Fulton School
Richardson Canyon Creek

District 4
Greenville Christian School
Athens Christian Preparatory Academy
Henderson Full Armor
Longview Christian Heritage

Longview Trinity School of Texas

District 5
Cedar Park Summit Christian
New Braunfels Christian
San Marcos Hill Country
Seguin Lifegate Christian School
Selma River City Believers Academy

District 6
Bulverde Bracken Christian
Fredericksburg Heritage
San Antonio Christian Academy
San Antonio The Winston
Spring Branch Living Rock

District 7
Alvin Living Stones Christian School
Bellville Faith Academy
Bryan Allen Academy
Huntsville Alpha Omega

District 8
Baytown Christian Academy
Conroe Covenant Christian School*
Conroe Lifestyle Christian School
Kingwood The Covenant Preparatory This is a new name for Kingwood NE Christian
Lake Jackson Brazosport
Orange Community Christian
freeagent
6Man Authority

Postby michaeljw » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:16 pm

puldude wrote:Tons of calls would be correct. I would not want to be on the receiving end.

I'd simply direct them to the form to appeal their classification/district and tell them to wait for the next board meeting. Beyond that I wouldn't want to hear it. Guess that's why they pay them the big bucks.
michaeljw
11-Man Fan

Postby CoachJJ » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:03 am

District I for Division II please add Christ The King- Lubbock. In my honest opinion I think probably 4-5 teams will drop in division II just due to low numbers. It is no one's fault. I think we will honestly have mid 30s so I do see a very competitive postseason. I 'm excited we are going back to Division I and Division II. I like having a 5 and 6 teams in a district. At the end of the day you can not and will not please everyone. I served on the AEC in the past I promise they are doing everything in their power to make the organization better. If you want to make an appeal more power to you. Remember there is a process and educate yourself on that appeal process.

Thanks,

Coach J
CoachJJ
6-Man Fan

Postby GSB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:06 pm

1987 wrote:I'd like some rational on the numbers across the board. Why is Midland Trinity, Waco Vanguard and Giddings still in the sixman ranks, but in basketball they are being bumped up to 4a.

FYI. Emery and Katy Faith West are 5A. If I'm not mistaken, TAPPS took the top end number off for D1 6-man. Any school can play.
GSB
6-Man Fan

Postby freeagent » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:05 pm

One of my "pluses" for larger districts is that scheduling is so, so much easier.

If you have six teams in a district, that means you only need to find five non-district games. And you can be a bit choosy and try to set up non-district matches that will prepare you for district play. Maybe you need a couple cupcakes to build confidence for district play. If the good Lord (and the TAPPS board) blesses you with seven or eight teams, well, say a couple of prayers of thanks, because you just hit the jackpot.

Or you'd better play a couple tough games so you can be ready for the district powerhouse.

Plus, you can get that pesky homecoming stuff over before district starts. Just remember, what you schedule this year, you get next year, too (usually). A coach has to think about what his talent is going to be in 2016 and 2017. Sure stinks if you got a good team coming in 2016 and a whole bunch of underclassmen in 2017.

Another thing I like about a larger district is that you play more MEANINGFUL games. It sure stinks to play seven, sometimes eight non-district games, trying to stay healthy for those two or three district contests at the end of the year that determine if you get to play in week 12 and beyond. Part of me would seriously consider with a three or four team district to play a round-robin schedule among district teams and have four to six district games.
freeagent
6Man Authority

Previous

Return to Private School Topics