Area Playoff Game--Rankin Vs Sterling City

Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

Re: Area Playoff Game--Rankin Vs Sterling City

Postby Johnny South » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Texas6Man wrote:
Texas6Man wrote:
The one thing I hate for any team is to leave feeling like the officiating had an impact on the outcome. This game is one that definitely falls into that. It was an absolute battle but it officials had a major impact on the outcome.

What I do not like to see is the officials playing a major part in how the game ends and that game last night they did just that. I’ll go as far as to say in over 30 years of watching 6 man it was one of the top 5 most memorable games that I’ve attended where officiating alone played a significant role in how it ended. There were HORRIBLE calls on both sides all night. I enjoy leaving a game and feeling like the players on the field decided the game & that game didn’t allow that.

As a matter of fact, I witnessed similar calls on Thursday night and also Friday night. I believe that I may know the reason why this begins to occur frequently in the playoffs. In the regular season a certain chapter officiates certain schools and you get a mix of the mostly good with the inexperienced.
In the playoffs, the officials are generally mutually agreed upon by both coaches. One coach suggests a certain crew that seems to be a great crew. The opposing coach is certainly not going to agree to that biased crew and suggests a crew that has called really great games from a different chapter. Once again opposed. They finally agree on getting some unknown crew that neither is familiar with and that is why the crews in question are assigned. They can usually be mostly unbiased, but leave a lot to be desired. IMO
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby Texas6Man » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Johnny South wrote:
Texas6Man wrote:
Texas6Man wrote:
The one thing I hate for any team is to leave feeling like the officiating had an impact on the outcome. This game is one that definitely falls into that. It was an absolute battle but it officials had a major impact on the outcome.

What I do not like to see is the officials playing a major part in how the game ends and that game last night they did just that. I’ll go as far as to say in over 30 years of watching 6 man it was one of the top 5 most memorable games that I’ve attended where officiating alone played a significant role in how it ended. There were HORRIBLE calls on both sides all night. I enjoy leaving a game and feeling like the players on the field decided the game & that game didn’t allow that.

As a matter of fact, I witnessed similar calls on Thursday night and also Friday night. I believe that I may know the reason why this begins to occur frequently in the playoffs. In the regular season a certain chapter officiates certain schools and you get a mix of the mostly good with the inexperienced.
In the playoffs, the officials are generally mutually agreed upon by both coaches. One coach suggests a certain crew that seems to be a great crew. The opposing coach is certainly not going to agree to that biased crew and suggests a crew that has called really great games from a different chapter. Once again opposed. They finally agree on getting some unknown crew that neither is familiar with and that is why the crews in question are assigned. They can usually be mostly unbiased, but leave a lot to be desired. IMO

I would definitely agree with that! It’s not just football it seems to happen in other sports as well. Once playoffs start the officiating quality drops. I’m not sure but maybe they could have some type of “rating” system so there are “rewards” for better officiating then when playoffs start the best officials are used each week. I understand it’s not a “career” but it’s heartbreaking for the kids who put so much work into their sports to feel “screwed” due to someone that shouldn’t have that kind of power to decide a game.
Texas6Man
11-Man Fan

Postby 6manonly » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:53 pm

I know bad calls happen but if you go watch film the players and coaches made way more mistakes than the refs did. My ol coach would say play better ut takes the refs out of it. To many excuses from people who arent willing to grab a whistle themselves.
6manonly
6-Man Fan

Postby Texas6Man » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:07 pm

6manonly wrote:I know bad calls happen but if you go watch film the players and coaches made way more mistakes than the refs did. My ol coach would say play better ut takes the refs out of it. To many excuses from people who arent willing to grab a whistle themselves.

I’ve “grabbed a whistle”, spent 8 years doing just that. That’s why I said what I said & know the officiating was HORRIBLE for that game!
Texas6Man
11-Man Fan

Previous

Return to six-man football talk