UIL to meet on Veribest offseason workouts

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

UIL to meet on Veribest offseason workouts

Postby granger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm

This doesn't look good

AUSTIN, Texas —The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League will convene at 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 7 at the UIL Office in Austin for a hearing that may impact the UIL football postseason.

A schedule of tomorrow’s hearing follows:

10:00 a.m. Veribest High School: Appeal of District 13-1A Division I Executive Committee Decision Regarding Alleged Violation of Section 1206(d), School Off-Season Workouts, In-School Day Period of the UIL Constitution & Contest Rules, and Alleged Violation of Enrollment Requirements, Athletic Periods of the TEA-UIL Side by Side.

This emergency hearing is necessary because the outcome may impact upcoming playoff games.
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: UIL to meet on Veribest offseason workouts

Postby Leman Saunders » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Also add this to what is going to be a crazy district finish

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sport ... 513011001/
Leman Saunders
6-Man Fan

Postby granger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I may try to run by the UI of L manana
granger
Guru

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:26 am

granger wrote:I may try to run by the UI of L manana

Be sure to wear your secret decoder ring ............
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby 3rdandaninch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 am

Crazy times out West. Get to East Texas, we do a lot of picken and grinnen and not much UIofL
3rdandaninch
11-Man Fan

Postby granger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Fascinating hearing. Strange plot and violation. This all basically stems from the dismissal of a coach in October and what transpired in the next 24 hours. I just went on a tweetstorm about it.

https://twitter.com/sixmanguru

Paul Harris from San Angelo will have a story tonight
granger
Guru

Postby TebowTime15 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Wow, that's crazy! Although it is impossible to know if the coach should have been terminated or not, that is below bush league for him to turn Veribest into the UIL for such petty a violation of the rules. I am sure he will get another job, but I personally would never hire him for doing that. The UIL should have taken action, but I don't understand why they feel the need to decide the outcome of games. A very minor offense deserves a a very minor punishment, maybe like the probation thing.

The former Veribest Coach and the UIL both did the Falcons a disservice. For what it's worth, I, a guy that likes sixman football with no power, feel for Veribest. While I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone, I wish it hadn't happened to Veribest as they have never been very good in football to the point that many people forget about them. Beating one of the San Angelo "powerhouses" is an impressive feat that the Falcons should be proud of even if the UIL refuses to recognize it. I hope Robert Lee goes far as it will make Veribest look even better.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan

Postby pistol » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:48 pm

It was actually the DEC (that's made up of the schools in the district) that put the penalty of forfeit on veribest. The SEC (UIL) only upheld the decision by the DEC ( and I guess added probation, since the veribest admin were unprepared with plans for the future)
pistol
6-Man Fan

Postby TebowTime15 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:08 pm

pistol wrote:It was actually the DEC (that's made up of the schools in the district) that put the penalty of forfeit on veribest. The SEC (UIL) only upheld the decision by the DEC ( and I guess added probation, since the veribest admin were unprepared with plans for the future)

Lol, I guess this is another downside to 4 team districts; While I feel like Eden and Paint Rock made the wrong decision, it's hard to blame Robert Lee.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan

Postby pistol » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:31 pm

its a 5 team district.. RL and Veribest didn't vote at the meeting.. I think it was a 2-1 decision.. not sure who voted which way (you should do some looking up before you go on your anti-uil rants)
pistol
6-Man Fan

Postby TebowTime15 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:05 pm

pistol wrote:its a 5 team district.. RL and Veribest didn't vote at the meeting.. I think it was a 2-1 decision.. not sure who voted which way (you should do some looking up before you go on your anti-uil rants)

Sorry, the newspaper article only mentioned four teams. I will not apologize for being anti-bureaucrats, especially when they should have overturned the decision.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan

Postby granger » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Bronte - against
Eden and Paint Rock - for the forfeit

For obvious reasons the other two abstained
granger
Guru

Postby pistol » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:27 pm

TebowTime15 wrote:
pistol wrote:its a 5 team district.. RL and Veribest didn't vote at the meeting.. I think it was a 2-1 decision.. not sure who voted which way (you should do some looking up before you go on your anti-uil rants)

Sorry, the newspaper article only mentioned four teams. I will not apologize for being anti-bureaucrats, especially when they should have overturned the decision.

Im not sure why they should have overturned the decision.. a rule was broken that obviously benefitted veribest in their game with RL that night
pistol
6-Man Fan

Postby Little Doc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm

What exactly happened (in common sense language) and who caused the violation to occur?
Little Doc
6-Man Fan

Postby granger » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 pm

On a Thursday night (Oct 10) they relieved their head coach of his duties. The Supt and Principal then notified the then-assistant coach he was now the head coach, while at a JH game.

Having limited time on the offense, he asked if he could get the kids some extra time on Friday to make sure they all knew the offense (the fired head coach was supposedly in charge of all offensive duties).

On Friday, the players' and coaches' schedules were moved around (not a violation) but they were also excused from some of their academic time to be in extra athletics (a UIL and TEA violation). Whether this was 15 minutes or an hour, it was admitted to.
granger
Guru

Next

Return to six-man football talk