Can we finally admit....

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby LBK6manFan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Didnt D2 Strawn beat D1 Milford last year? D2 winners beat D1 runner-up. That changes everything about last years playoff scenario. Who knows, Milford may have still pulled off a rematch against Strawn.That is the unknown I'm talking about regarding the playoffs(McLean wins either way last year though)
LBK6manFan
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby coachj25 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 am

This is starting to get silly. The 1A number was raised because it was a concession made so six man could have its own division at the state track meet. Uil like the split so much that they have forced it on the other divisions. What is really funny is I can remember sitting in the general meeting at coaching school and people wanted to know if they could petition to play up in D1. Now I see some of those same coaches who are happy to be in little owe D2. I also remember a school who made the playoffs at 3-7 and went 3 rounds deep. Teams hit there stride at different times. Records do not indicate the strength of schedule. This split is a good thing. Teams still earn their spots. Kids are playing there guts outs. There are still gonna be blow outs. Your gonna get that team or face that team of 12-14 that have playing together since 6th grade and now they are seniors. Your gonna get those kids that are bigger than everybody else or faster or both.
coachj25
11-Man Fan
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby videojoe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:16 am

6-man football seemed to have been doing okay for a half-century before the split. But, let's agree to disagree and move on.
videojoe
11-Man Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby LBK6manFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm

videojoe wrote:6-man football seemed to have been doing okay for a half-century before the split. But, let's agree to disagree and move on.


Videojoe I'm on your side!!! But, to each their own.. I understand that the game will most likely stay 2 divisions, I was just implying that it has been a failure in my opinion. I still feel like most people would push for a unified division instead of 2 regarding 6man. It's not like Katy, Southlake, etc... would play Canadian, or a 2A (formerly called 1A) in a state championship or at all. 6 man is different and for good reasons. That's why the cutoff number is where it's at. If it jumps than I'll take the grain of salt, but 99.5/8 team districts felt right, especially as a player. 104.5 is not that big of difference. Dont fix what's not broken and I feel the UIL did that by creating 2 divisions.
LBK6manFan
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby Johnny South » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:08 pm

LBK6manFan wrote:I still feel like most people would push for a unified division instead of 2 regarding 6man.


I believe that you are way off on that statement. You with all of your umpteen posts here is about all the support you have.
With the high enrollment cut-off numbers, the current system is the only way to go. Whether the tiny schools have a chance or not, they believe that they do with our current system in place.
Johnny South
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:04 am
Location: South of the County Line

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby LBK6manFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Johnny South wrote:
LBK6manFan wrote:I still feel like most people would push for a unified division instead of 2 regarding 6man.


I believe that you are way off on that statement. You with all of your umpteen posts here is about all the support you have.
With the high enrollment cut-off numbers, the current system is the only way to go. Whether the tiny schools have a chance or not, they believe that they do with our current system in place.


I dont agree, it worked with 99.5. I dont know why you're so adamant on this division split being so "great" for the kids. What year did you play? I'm very curious to know. I know I've posted a lot in this thread, mainly because I wanted to here civil arguments/opinions regarding the original post. No one has changed my mine yet Mr. South
LBK6manFan
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby FCSA football » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Black-Gold wrote:FOLLOW THE MONEY

The more playoff games and championships played = more money sent UIL's way. It's not about travel, competition, or equity. Its about the money.


$$$$$$$$$
That’s what it is really all about.
Following the logic and reasoning by some on this thread then TU or M&A should be able to play heads up with the Dallas Cowboys, uh, maybe that was a bad example, they should be able to play head up with the New Orleans Saints!
After 50 years of coaching baseball and football I really can’t see how some of you say numbers don’t matter.
That is a Ludicrous position. Give me 30-40 or more kids to pick 6 from and hold the rest in reserve to run your
8 into the ground. I don’t care how good you are by the middle of the third, beginning of the 4th those kids are gassed. 2 or 3 platoons, alternating a no huddle Rabbit offense will leave those 6-8 kids gassed and puking on the field. My opinion and observation is that those who think numbers Don’t make a Difference are just blowing smoke because they have always had the numbers.
I mean why do the Pros have a draft, why does little league have a draft, why does the UIL have to continually rule on “transfers for athletic purposes”. Give it up guys, you are only fooling yourselves.
Only One District Champion of each district of only One Division going to the playoffs! Ain’t gonna happen, the old days are gone and $$$$$$$$ is king and the deciding factor in ALL SPORTS today. That’s a fact Jack and it will never go back!
My opinion, for what it’s worth.......
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby LBK6manFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Because Grandfalls could've/shouldve won a title outright in 2013. How many championships does Richland Springs have if not for the division split? Motley County? Northside?
No offense, I understand your opinion but I just proved you wrong. Grandfalls (lowest enrollment in the state) won a state championship in 2013. I think they win it if theres no division split that year. I'd take that team over your 30 player team anyday, every week, all year
LBK6manFan
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby LBK6manFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm

FCSA football wrote:
Black-Gold wrote:FOLLOW THE MONEY

The more playoff games and championships played = more money sent UIL's way. It's not about travel, competition, or equity. Its about the money.


$$$$$$$$$
That’s what it is really all about.
Following the logic and reasoning by some on this thread then TU or M&A should be able to play heads up with the Dallas Cowboys, uh, maybe that was a bad example, they should be able to play head up with the New Orleans Saints!
After 50 years of coaching baseball and football I really can’t see how some of you say numbers don’t matter.
That is a Ludicrous position. Give me 30-40 or more kids to pick 6 from and hold the rest in reserve to run your
8 into the ground. I don’t care how good you are by the middle of the third, beginning of the 4th those kids are gassed. 2 or 3 platoons, alternating a no huddle Rabbit offense will leave those 6-8 kids gassed and puking on the field. My opinion and observation is that those who think numbers Don’t make a Difference are just blowing smoke because they have always had the numbers.
I mean why do the Pros have a draft, why does little league have a draft, why does the UIL have to continually rule on “transfers for athletic purposes”. Give it up guys, you are only fooling yourselves.
Only One District Champion of each district of only One Division going to the playoffs! Ain’t gonna happen, the old days are gone and $$$$$$$$ is king and the deciding factor in ALL SPORTS today. That’s a fact Jack and it will never go back!
My opinion, for what it’s worth.......


I proposed 8 team districts with one division. I even proposed taking 3 teams (each district) to the playoffs even though we only had DChamp & DRunnerup when I played. I still cringe when I have to say 3 teams would make it to the playoffs but that's the only route I could think of people would accept. I don't think it shouldve ever changed in the first place.
LBK6manFan
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby One _pac2018 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm

We are lucky that uil even lets us have a division in the first place man . Hell without them sixman could decrease by half !
One _pac2018
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby FCSA football » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Johnny South wrote:
LBK6manFan wrote:I still feel like most people would push for a unified division instead of 2 regarding 6man.


I believe that you are way off on that statement. You with all of your umpteen posts here is about all the support you have.
With the high enrollment cut-off numbers, the current system is the only way to go. Whether the tiny schools have a chance or not, they believe that they do with our current system in place.


You are right Johnny. With the two divisions smaller schools DO believe they have a chance. There are plenty of people on school boards today that would love to see football dead and gone. They just need Justification, not a reason. Go back to one division and you will see schools shutting down their six man program to “focus” on other programs. Their definition on “focus” is to eliminate the brutal exhibitions of men glorifying the hitting of each other, and as we all know that is what causes all the problems in the world today. Just ask AOC.
So go ahead guys, keep assisting those with that mentality. Hey, but as long as it’s not your ox getting gored, who cares ?
Go Johnny Go.............!
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby LBK6manFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 pm

FCSA football wrote:
Johnny South wrote:
LBK6manFan wrote:I still feel like most people would push for a unified division instead of 2 regarding 6man.


I believe that you are way off on that statement. You with all of your umpteen posts here is about all the support you have.
With the high enrollment cut-off numbers, the current system is the only way to go. Whether the tiny schools have a chance or not, they believe that they do with our current system in place.


You are right Johnny. With the two divisions smaller schools DO believe they have a chance. There are plenty of people on school boards today that would love to see football dead and gone. They just need Justification, not a reason. Go back to one division and you will see schools shutting down their six man program to “focus” on other programs. Their definition on “focus” is to eliminate the brutal exhibitions of men glorifying the hitting of each other, and as we all know that is what causes all the problems in the world today. Just ask AOC.
So go ahead guys, keep assisting those with that mentality. Hey, but as long as it’s not your ox getting gored, who cares ?
Go Johnny Go.............!


Like I said before, I respect your opinion but why cannot disagree? Also, I'd still take Grandfalls '13 (the lowest enrollment in the state that year) over your 30 player team and yes I believe it would mean more more for the players, school, and the history of 6Man
LBK6manFan
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby TebowTime15 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 pm

That 13 Grandfalls Team had the best spread defense I've never seen outside of TE's Coyotes! It was like a red wave gobbling up the other team's ball carrier.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby FCSA football » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 am

TebowTime15 wrote:That 13 Grandfalls Team had the best spread defense I've never seen outside of TE's Coyotes! It was like a red wave gobbling up the other team's ball carrier.


No doubt about it. Defense wins football games.!And Championships!
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Can we finally admit....

Postby rainjacktx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:37 am

All this debate about going back to one division is like debating whether or not to ditch the Electoral College and go to a straight popular vote to elect our president: On one side it makes all the sense in the world. On the other it makes all the sense in the world.

Sure it's fun to pontificate what-if's, but given the fact that every classification in the state (except 6A maybe, I can't be bothered to look it up) has two divisions, and 4 teams are taken from each district, what we have in 6-man is tame by comparison. There's every possibility that a non-6man team could be 0-fer the season and still "earn" a playoff spot. At least in 6man, they havve to win at least once, unless there's a 2 team district of which I am unaware

Nothing will change now that it is proven that playoff football is profitable.

Edited for clarity
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:01 am
Location: nowhere special

PreviousNext

Return to six-man football talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coachjohnson10 and 7 guests