Coaching Carousel

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Johnny South » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:25 am

tdog5344 wrote:Not even the best RS team could have beaten Borden County Crowell or for that fact Mclean either during those teams championship seasons. That's a Fact


Crowell would have had another Championship season in 2016, if they hadn't played that bunch of wussy's from RS! That's a possible fact!
Johnny South
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:04 am
Location: South of the County Line

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Vincent J. Davis » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:46 am

Come on fellas, lets be real.. none of the teams mentioned would beat the 2009 Tapps D2 state championship Duncanville Christway Team!! Just kidding just kidding :-) Just trying to lighten up the mood on this board a little bit... hope everyone is enjoying the offseason, August right around the corner... and I hope everyone is having a blessed summer as well...

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran
Vincent J. Davis
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 am

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby coachsatcher » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:51 am

Every Coach, every program, and every fan has a different prospective on the needs of a schedule when preparing for district and the playoffs. There is no blueprint for success. I had to coach against RS twice, when they had a "cupcake" schedule leading into the playoffs. Many said they were "untested". We had a strong team both years, and were 45'd both times. RS went on to 45 their way to state championships. I've watched teams play every quality team in the state; but come up short at the end of the season, and get ridiculed for their efforts. The reality is, a Coach prepares his team to play in district and beyond. In order to make a deep run in the playoffs, you must be healthy (somewhat), and clicking on all cylinders. Fans want the best matchups, regardless the ramifications, as long as it's a good game. Most Coaches try to land somewhere in the middle. I can't give any words of wisdom on the ingredients to success, because I haven't found it. I know I try to schedule my opponents based on one thing, and talent level isn't a major contributing factor. To win district, I have to beat Chester and Apple Springs, but make no mistake, all roads lead to Oakwood. The bulk of my opponents are traditional spread teams, with some variation of a shotgun J. I want to see as many variations as possible of the different things Oakwood could throw at us. Is it short-sided to only look at a district championship? Probably. But you're not the one spending an entire season, knowing in the back of your head, that Tritz and Wells have that program on point, and that one of your main goals match theirs. Long story short, remember, the Coach doesn't have to justify his schedule to anyone, until his losses outweigh his efforts. Moral victories will only get you so far, and then it will define your resume. It's not all about winning, but it's also not all about entertaining the fans. Neither of those philosophies put the kids first. If I'm going to go down, I want to go down knowing I was preparing my kids to win in November the best way I know how.
coachsatcher
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Trinidad, TX

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby tdog5344 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 am

coachsatcher wrote:Every Coach, every program, and every fan has a different prospective on the needs of a schedule when preparing for district and the playoffs. There is no blueprint for success. I had to coach against RS twice, when they had a "cupcake" schedule leading into the playoffs. Many said they were "untested". We had a strong team both years, and were 45'd both times. RS went on to 45 their way to state championships. I've watched teams play every quality team in the state; but come up short at the end of the season, and get ridiculed for their efforts. The reality is, a Coach prepares his team to play in district and beyond. In order to make a deep run in the playoffs, you must be healthy (somewhat), and clicking on all cylinders. Fans want the best matchups, regardless the ramifications, as long as it's a good game. Most Coaches try to land somewhere in the middle. I can't give any words of wisdom on the ingredients to success, because I haven't found it. I know I try to schedule my opponents based on one thing, and talent level isn't a major contributing factor. To win district, I have to beat Chester and Apple Springs, but make no mistake, all roads lead to Oakwood. The bulk of my opponents are traditional spread teams, with some variation of a shotgun J. I want to see as many variations as possible of the different things Oakwood could throw at us. Is it short-sided to only look at a district championship? Probably. But you're not the one spending an entire season, knowing in the back of your head, that Tritz and Wells have that program on point, and that one of your main goals match theirs. Long story short, remember, the Coach doesn't have to justify his schedule to anyone, until his losses outweigh his efforts. Moral victories will only get you so far, and then it will define your resume. It's not all about winning, but it's also not all about entertaining the fans. Neither of those philosophies put the kids first. If I'm going to go down, I want to go down knowing I was preparing my kids to win in November the best way I know how.


Very well said Scheduling for common offenses or defenses for later on in the year was not something I ever thought of. As long as it's about the kids and putting them in position to succeed then what else really matters. Coaches as a whole are the last hope for our kids before entering the real world and 99% of them do just that. It's the ones who worry more about themselves there resume aka EGO. Most times in life when your genuine respectful and most of all REAL all these things take care of themselves. I like to like and stir lice the banter and competition. At the end of the day though we are not to judge others or act like we know what they are thinking or doing when we have never met them or invested any time in them.. Good luck to all the coaches and thank you for the difference you make in young men's lives.
tdog5344
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Little Doc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 am

Appreciate everyone's input on this but the bottom line is that these winning teams year after year have a tough time making a decent schedule because no one will play them. It's really not their fault if some years they have cupcake schedules because of this. Teams that won't play these traditional winners are led by a coach that is more concerned for his record than getting kids hurt, etc.
Little Doc
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:01 am
Location: San Angelo

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby tdog5344 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 am

This rings true as not a problem in groom for us at the time but my contacts in Mclean say that they also are having issues getting people to play after fielding good teams for just a couple years.
tdog5344
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby CoachWRigdon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Well Longhorn75, Richland Springs needs to fill 2 games in every level of football this season. If you know of anyone who wants to play us please give me a call or give them my phone number. You may just make my job a ton easier. Thanks again- Coach Wesley Rigdon 850-291-7174
CoachWRigdon
11-Man Fan
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby FCSA football » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:16 pm

tdog5344 wrote:This rings true as not a problem in groom for us at the time but my contacts in Mclean say that they also are having issues getting people to play after fielding good teams for just a couple years.

tdog5344 wanted my observation so here goes. :) .
Ruiz should have never even been in the ring with Joshua last Saturday night. Ruiz won. Ingleside should have never lost the 1964 State Class A Championship (11 man then) to Archer City, but we did. No one thought the Jets would win Super Bow III, but they did. The Denver Matress / Furniture Row NASCAR Team should have never won a Championship, but they did in 2017. Calvert with Jayden Bryant was supposed to beat Richland Springs in their 2016 playoff game and the teams were trading touchdowns until Bryant went down. The game was basically over at that points and RS pulled away. Anything Can Happen at Any Time in Any Sport.
My point being that all the what if’s and speculation and conjecture are all fine, as long as everyone knows it is just for fun. Its when people start stating “facts” and believing that stuff that reality goes out the door.
Bottom Line: until the two teams in question PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME, it’s nothing but speculation, conjecture and hot air with a little Bull Stuff thrown in to add a little fragrance to the hot air.
Just saying................
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Texlonghorn75 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 am

CoachWRigdon wrote:Well Longhorn75, Richland Springs needs to fill 2 games in every level of football this season. If you know of anyone who wants to play us please give me a call or give them my phone number. You may just make my job a ton easier. Thanks again- Coach Wesley Rigdon 850-291-7174

Thanks Coach Rigdon, I appreciate the vote of confidence there. McLean was looking for a game about a month ago but I never contacted the coach to see if he filled the date. I know it would have entailed a possible game at a neutral site for Richland Springs, but if Nelson Campbell and Gordon could schedule and play teams in Colorado and Canada back in the 90's a trip across Texas isn't asking too much. I know Borden County always has trouble getting teams to play them too, you might call Borden County. Oakwood and Strawn both needed a game on the same week back in February-March and I tried to interest Oakwood in playing Strawn but the Oakwood staff didn't want to play them because they might see Strawn in the playoffs too. Abilene Christian was needing a game just a few weeks ago and posted their need on this website. Looking for games in June is tough since most staffs would have wanted scheduling completed before heading for the beaches or mountains. I have a novel idea though. Why don't the coaches get together and schedule binding two year or four year commitments. Yes I know some of the private schools might disappear off the radar in a year or two but keep bulk of the schedule with UIL schools for a degree of permanence. It would make the coach's job easier too going forward and the fans would anticipate the matchups more. Otherwise, I guess you can schedule some of those Lady of the Lake schools, wave $500 at them and see if they take the bait. Strength of schedule should not be a consideration since all the Coyote fans just want a win or a forfeit just ask your boss. Might as well change things up a bit, its your team.
Texlonghorn75
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby CoachWRigdon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 am

Well since this current staff here didn't take over until the end of May we wouldn't know too much about who needed games in February. I have not been in Richland Springs for a calendar year yet but as so many great coaches on this thread have already commented prior, it is sometimes a daunting task to fill and hold on to a 10 game schedule.

Also, I'd love to get in the private school debate but there are too many ways it can come off as condescending to coaches and players doing the same thing we strive to do everyday.

Keep on the look out for those games though! Tell them we will travel!
CoachWRigdon
11-Man Fan
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby FCSA football » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am

Coach Rigdon, you might want to just ignore “shorthorn 75”. It’s clear to all he just has a petty axe to grind.
It’s also clear to all, especially to non UIL teams and schools, that the kids, coaches and supporters of our teams are not even second class citizens in his narrow elitist view of his six man world. Our kids play hard and do their best to overcome the obstacles of fielding a team at times. But the KIDS want to play, even if they know their odds of overcoming a larger, more established program that UIL teams have. So let Shorthorn 75 continue to flap his gums and run his toilet mouth and continue to prove he’s an uppity, ignorant jacka$$.
Keep to the high road sir, you’ll be fine.
Just saying..,,,,,,,
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Texlonghorn75 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:06 pm

FCSA football wrote:Coach Rigdon, you might want to just ignore “shorthorn 75”. It’s clear to all he just has a petty axe to grind.
It’s also clear to all, especially to non UIL teams and schools, that the kids, coaches and supporters of our teams are not even second class citizens in his narrow elitist view of his six man world. Our kids play hard and do their best to overcome the obstacles of fielding a team at times. But the KIDS want to play, even if they know their odds of overcoming a larger, more established program that UIL teams have. So let Shorthorn 75 continue to flap his gums and run his toilet mouth and continue to prove he’s an uppity, ignorant jacka$$.
Keep to the high road sir, you’ll be fine.
Just saying..,,,,,,,

Hey FCSA my reply was respectful yet points out some possible opportunities in scheduling. Your reply as always seems to imply that your have the final say on all things Six Man which you don't. I don't care if you run a successful business and support the FCSA program singlehandedly. You probably have arthritis in your arm and shoulder from patting yourself on your back so much. I was talking schedule not attacking Rigdon or you. You show no class as indicated by your post but that is the norm for you. Private schools and their football programs are all over the board competition wise so they are what they are. Too bad everyone doesn't agree with your assessment of Richland Springs or my posts but deal with it. I'm glad to see you can spell big words like ignorant and jacka$$. Probably bragged to the wife about it too.
Texlonghorn75
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby FCSA football » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Now, now son, calm down, be a decent human being and people might ultimately like you.
I’m a fan of Kids, no matter what team they play for. I’m not a Richland Springs fan. Don’t personally know anyone there. Have talked to Coach Rigdon and been to playoff games over the years where they played, but I go see as many Sixman games as I can through the whole season. I’m a fan of the KIDS, all of them. They read these posts too, so when you trash a team or town by name you are also trashing the Kids. They read and share these comments. Just remember that in your posts and you’ll be fine.
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Texlonghorn75 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 pm

FCSA football wrote:Now, now son, calm down, be a decent human being and people might ultimately like you.
I’m a fan of Kids, no matter what team they play for. I’m not a Richland Springs fan. Don’t personally know anyone there. Have talked to Coach Rigdon and been to playoff games over the years where they played, but I go see as many Sixman games as I can through the whole season. I’m a fan of the KIDS, all of them. They read these posts too, so when you trash a team or town by name you are also trashing the Kids. They read and share these comments. Just remember that in your posts and you’ll be fine.

FCSA you set such a poor example for Kids with your name calling of people you don't know and sucking up to the Richland Springs coaches. Your rhetoric comes across as just being politically correct for RS, that is all. I hope you aren't the coach of those Kids at FCSA, many parents wouldn't want their children playing for you. I guess you don't read your own posts?? Your persistent negative posts pertaining to anything that you don't agree with are a weak form of censorship. You are the CNN of sixmanfootball.com. Try acting like an adult.
Texlonghorn75
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby FCSA football » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Wooo-eeeeee, listen to you boy!
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to six-man football talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests