2-A-Day Numbers?

Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby coachsatcher » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Johnny South wrote:I realize that opinions are like some other things, and that everyone has one. Since we are talking numbers, I would like to stir this around a little bit.
I think that the coach/player ratio that exceeds 1/6 is detrimental to the success of the team. When the coaches are trying to handle too many kids, the younger and less talented get little to no attention and therefore are basically ignored in practice, or if the coaches try to give all players the attention that they need, then the best players are not getting the "special" attention that they deserve. What do you think?


As much as I would like to argue, your point is very valid. While I believe the specific number itself depends on the coach, the logic is spot on. Great post to ponder.
coachsatcher
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Trinidad, TX

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby darkhorseman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Throckmorton has 12 this year.
darkhorseman
11-Man Fan
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:01 am

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby Dogface2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 pm

coachsatcher wrote:
Johnny South wrote:I realize that opinions are like some other things, and that everyone has one. Since we are talking numbers, I would like to stir this around a little bit.
I think that the coach/player ratio that exceeds 1/6 is detrimental to the success of the team. When the coaches are trying to handle too many kids, the younger and less talented get little to no attention and therefore are basically ignored in practice, or if the coaches try to give all players the attention that they need, then the best players are not getting the "special" attention that they deserve. What do you think?


As much as I would like to argue, your point is very valid. While I believe the specific number itself depends on the coach, the logic is spot on. Great post to ponder.

Such is life.
Practice plans can accommodate all challenges.
Just like in the classroom.
So-called best players can help younger players.
Not that hard for a real teacher/coach.
John Wooden spent hours with his staff planning practice.
User avatar
Dogface2
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: The not knowing's half the fun!
Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby TebowTime15 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm

FCSA football wrote:Schools with 25, 30 or more playing 6 man ?
With those kind of numbers seems like they should be playing 11 man.
Say Leman, what’s the average number of players on a 6 man team any way?
Just asking.........


While some of those schools may be close to the 11 man cut off, I think it is almost a fact that most sixman schools have more boys than girls. I have my Lohn HS 2008 yearbook in front of me to serve as an example:

Freshman: 4 girls, 3 boys
Sophomores: 2 girls, 6 boys
Juniors: 2 girls, 4 boys
Seniors: 0 girls, 8 boys

Total: 8 girls, 21 boys = 29 total

Obviously this is just one school at one point in time, but even Lohn, one of the smallest schools in the State of Texas, could have had 20 boys playing if everyone played in a given year.

I think a lot of boys get disenfranchised at a larger 11 man school and moved to a 6 man school as a result. Of the 12 boys that played football my senior year, 6 of us went to Brady together at one point in time.
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 am

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby Warcat82 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:03 pm

FCSA football wrote:Schools with 25, 30 or more playing 6 man ?
With those kind of numbers seems like they should be playing 11 man.
Say Leman, what’s the average number of players on a 6 man team any way?
Just asking.........


In UIL they determine who plays 6 man or 11 man, so a team could have 100 kids total in the school and in theory have 50 boys all come out for football and they would be 6 man per UIL... TAPPS has started allowing teams to choose and so you get teams like Emry that have way larger numbers choosing 6 man and competing with schools that most times may have 10 kids. Live Oak also has large numbers and chooses 6 man in TAPPS.
Warcat82
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby JH PACER COACH » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:39 pm

I've read and understand everyone's valid points made about numbers? But, when a school whether private or public can turn out numbers in the high teens to low 20's year after year, shouldn't they be approached about moving up to 11 man?
I don't think the choice should be left up to a school and it's coaches on whether they want to stay 6 or 11 man. Naturally, if you dominate year after year with a large roster numerically in 6 man, your probably not going to want to move up and possibly struggle and be a whipping post for 11 man.
So, where does the balance come from? The schools, TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF or independent. Who makes the call about when programs should move to 11 man or stay 6 man. Look forward to hearing back from the 6 man world.
JH PACER COACH
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby FCSA football » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:58 pm

A lot of folks think that ALL public schools are UIL. Not true. School Districts make that decision.
Charter Schools are by definition (they receive taxpayers dollars) public schools but I’m not aware of any Charter Schools that are UIL, so......
Fill us in Leman !
FCSA football
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby Jones26 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 pm

JH PACER COACH wrote:I've read and understand everyone's valid points made about numbers? But, when a school whether private or public can turn out numbers in the high teens to low 20's year after year, shouldn't they be approached about moving up to 11 man?
I don't think the choice should be left up to a school and it's coaches on whether they want to stay 6 or 11 man. Naturally, if you dominate year after year with a large roster numerically in 6 man, your probably not going to want to move up and possibly struggle and be a whipping post for 11 man.
So, where does the balance come from? The schools, TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF or independent. Who makes the call about when programs should move to 11 man or stay 6 man. Look forward to hearing back from the 6 man world.


So you think the governing body should mandate what schools do? So, say a school is made to play 11man because they have 30+ out one year. So they are put into a district, etc...and the next year 13 kids show up on the first day. So for two years, they are expected to play an 11man schedule? Or choose to play outlaw sixman, taking away all chances for district titles, playoff games, and post season honors? Seriously? That makes zero sense. And yes, numbers can change that way. I’ll use us (GC) as an example. This year we have 32....20 are juniors and seniors. Our freshman class has three boys total in their class. By your thinking we should be forced to play 11man?
User avatar
Jones26
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby CoachJJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:57 pm

JH Pacer Coach:

No league should mandate what schools and coaches decide. Just because you have 25 kiddos one year that doesn't mean you will even have 20 the next year. Also, how many coaches want the starting LG to weight 145 lbs and standing 5'8 in the 11man game. Coach Jones made a good point along with another individual on this site saying the numbers would drop off if they went 11man. It is more fun for the smaller guys. We are trying to build a program. Are we really building a program when OL and DL the size of most slot wideouts. We have had 17-18 in our program the last three seasons, and we were expecting close to 20 this year. However, we only have 12 in the program which is an extremely low for us. I had 11 football boys in the 8th grade class last year, and we only have two 8th grade football boys in this year's current class. That is just small schools in the UIl and TAPPS sector.

TCAF cannot be compared in that sense to the other (main two leagues) as they can use a percentage as homeschoolers in their programs. We don't get that opportunity.

Personally, I love 6man and have been coaching it for 12 years now. Would I go 11man in my program? If I had 11man type of bodies I would consider it at the JH level first and then HS if we could maintain and sustain that over 2 full realignments.

Just because you have 26 kiddos that doesn't mean you need to go 11man. Now if you have 8-10 OL/DL that are true lineman then maybe that is something to consider, but I would NEVER and I say NEVER make that jump at the HS level first. I have seen 3-4 coaches off of the top of my head make that jump.. I'm like are you sure coach, and their response was the community wants it and then they find their way back down to the 6man game.
CoachJJ
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby CoachJJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I will also add this as I was an assistant coach at Glenview Christian School in 2007 we almost move up to 11man in 2008. In 2006, GCS won a state title, and in 2007 we went to the state game and lost in the championship. We had 24 football players with about 8 seniors and 6 that played a lot out of that group in 07. We are were expecting 3-4 players moving up to high school in 08. Several folks in the community wanted us to go 11man. I think our AD/HFC said we are looking at least 19 guys and possible a few other that would come out. He was a 6man dude and went to (11man school) Frisco Legacy for the spring district meeting. He pushed it, I pushed it, and the community wanted it. Most did for that matter. We got to spring football and we had 5 football guys in April. Are you kidding me coach is my response to him? I will say at that point no one transferred out. So...… Glenview Christian was a powerhouse in the 2005-2009 in the private sector had 20-25 year in and year out. Just my two cents. I used to think man if you have 20 you should go 11man, however I am not of that opinion anymore. Thank the Lord for that. lol. hehe.


Coach J
CoachJJ
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby Coach Connaughton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Great Conversation. I have coached 6Man for 6 years and when we started had 11 total kids. We are a TCAF school and have had success including winning State in 2016 which has grown our numbers to consistently in the 20's and 30's. This season we are making the transition to the 11 Man game. Our numbers are about the same considering enrollment is down and kids are excited to play, 6Man or 11Man. I believe that's my job as a Coach. Yes, TCAF does have an up to 25% of the roster homeschool acceptance policy, however I can speak for my school, we don't allow it (trust me I wish we did right now).

As for the Charter School debate. Yes, A+ Charter School in Dallas is currently playing an 11 Man UIL District Schedule and I have to believe more are. I believe the rule is though they get thrown in to the largest district within their ISD region. So for example, Westlake Academy isa 6 Man program. If they went UIL they would be numbers wise a 3A school. However they would be placed in their ISD's largest district so they would be competing against a 5A UIL District Schedule. No disrespect to Westlake Academy, but I believe that is just down right crazy and I believe they are making a great decision staying private.

Now as far as the numbers go, we have been long criticized on here by other teams, especially UIL, when we roll in with 30 kids and they have 14. Our enrollment is the same, we just did a better job at connecting with our kids in our school and got them to play. We always ignored it but it happens.

We are definitely going to miss the 6Man Family and Communities. The game is so much more fun and you can't beat the people. I have been blessed to build great relationships with some amazing Coaches from around the State and I truly look forward to coming home to 6Man again one day. Best of luck to all the schools and prayers for a safe season!

Coach Connaughton
Coach Connaughton
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 am

Re: 2-A-Day Numbers?

Postby Schwarzenegger » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 am

Newschannel10 had a video of Wildarado's football team, are they in a district or playing a outlaw schedule?
Schwarzenegger
6-Man Fan
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Location: Golds Gym,Austria

Previous

Return to six-man football talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CoachTaylor9, Google [Bot] and 17 guests