On the move

Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

Re: On the move

Postby Johnny South » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:50 pm

I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these guys change jobs just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and job-hop at the same time. imo
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby The Bottom Line » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 am

Johnny South wrote:I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these guys change jobs just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and job-hop at the same time. imo

You could also flip that:

I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these SCHOOLS change COACHES just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and interview at the same time.
The Bottom Line
11-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Just to be a little curious here, what percentage of these moves were from the school firing the coach, and what percent of the coaches quit their jobs? My guess would be around 90% of the coaches quit, as compared to around 10% of the schools firing the coaches. Anyone have stats to correct my guess?
If a guy wants to jump the fence to the proverbial greener pasture, he can always come up with a dozen good reasons to quit.
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby Texman301 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I know one for sure was because he was told by the new supt that he was not coming back.. The coach had absolutely no intention of leaving.
Texman301
6-Man Fan

Postby Dogface2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:46 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Johnny South wrote:I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these guys change jobs just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and job-hop at the same time. imo

You could also flip that:

I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these SCHOOLS change COACHES just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and interview at the same time.

Both scenarios happen every year.
Anothef cool stat to know would be how often does this happen in 5A or 6A?
Or is it a smalltown problem.
Good luck to all guys moving.
I love my new parent-free high paying job. Ha.
Dogface2
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby SixmanInfoFirst » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm

A lot of folks don’t understand the importance of the community backing a coach. Whether a coach chooses to leave or stay really depends on the community behind them. I think that it is somewhat of a small-town problem. A lot of people are in the coaches ear as well as the school board. You won’t see near as much community turmoil in the larger divisions.
SixmanInfoFirst
6-Man Fan

Postby Count Coog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:43 am

One problem is that you have the same coach for almost everything, so the problem seems to "compound" even when it really doesn't. They (parents and kids) get tired of seeing you and vice versa. They have one problem with you, it carries on throughout the year. Where as in bigger schools, they have the same problems, just see the problem a lot less.

Also, people in small towns have a feeling of

"Do you know who I am?"
No, and really does it matter. (is the answer that should be given because it should never matter
"When I was in school..."
Really, we did things different when i was in school too, just trying to make us better.
"Coach use to make us..."
Yeas, Coach also didn't get sued like parents will today. Sorry that this isn't Junction, TX or the 1940's. Parents inhale these days and don't believe in the same accountability that we did.

Big schools, you don't get nearly as much of that. Everyone once in a while, but not daily.
Count Coog
6-Man Fan

Postby BuffaloCountry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Coach Keith is leaving Happy to become the new head football/basketball coach of Valley per Pete Christy.
BuffaloCountry
6-Man Fan

Postby smalltown » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:37 pm

That is a great hire for valley but terrible for happy.
smalltown
6-Man Fan

Postby CoachJJ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Happy will have good apps. Trust me this in not bad for Happy! Good hire for V though!
CoachJJ
6-Man Fan

Postby speedkills » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am

A lot of the small towns have way too many chiefs and not enough indians. I've witnessed it first-hand, and it's not pretty. Ultimately the kids are the ones that pay the price when they end up with a new coach every year or two.
speedkills
6-Man Fan

Postby BuffaloCountry » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 pm

speedkills wrote:A lot of the small towns have way too many chiefs and not enough indians. I've witnessed it first-hand, and it's not pretty. Ultimately the kids are the ones that pay the price when they end up with a new coach every year or two.

Totally agree! I experienced it in high school and have also witnessed it happen to coaches. People need to realize that you can’t build a dynasty like Borden County or Richland Springs in a year or two. Every now and then the chips fall into place for a coach at the right time, but some coaches get caught with low numbers and less talent which happens and ends up being an unfortunate situation. The totality of circumstances doesn’t matter to most, just the win/loss column.
BuffaloCountry
6-Man Fan

Postby Wonder Dog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:48 am

I believe everyone has a right to change jobs, from superintendents to principals to coaches, They all do it.
I don't understand why people come on here bashing coaches for leaving a school. It is the decision of the coach and their family to decide what is right for them.

Most coaches leave due to (their opinions of) bad administrations (Supts/Princpls), talent has dried up, school board pushes them out, another job offers better pay, better housing possibilities, etc.. (this list can go on and on).

Places like Richland Springs and Borden County are rare, because they have stability with coaches and they build their programs but they get alot of transfers (SOME-HOW, SOME-WAY).
Another example is Ira, Coach Goodwin has been there for many years and he's had some pretty darn good teams and TOP GRADE A-plus asst coaches who has left for other schools.

We all get on this message board and rant but we have no idea what goes on at these schools to make coaches leave.
Wonder Dog
6-Man Fan

Postby gbeard » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm

I saw where the Coolidge job is now posted on TASA
gbeard
11-Man Fan

Postby smalltown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Valley has gotten a great fb coach and now they have also gotten a great girls bb coach in amy bowles. I'm curious to why the current valley coaches are leaving.
smalltown
6-Man Fan

PreviousNext

Return to six-man football talk