Why/when did 45'ing teams become so popular

Moderators: granger, freeagent, mjda76384

Re: Why/when did 45'ing teams become so popular

Postby Jones26 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 am

Edward Golden wrote:Jones26...I am sure you are a very respected coach but I can assure you that most coaches know where they are ranked. I have been around coaches for 40 years and many cannot wait for the Padilla poll, Harris Rankings, and Granger Report to come out and see the rankings.

I agree with that. Even I like looking at them. My point is those rankings do not enter my mind during the course of a game. And I have never coached on a staff where the polls decided if we were going to keep our starters in or not.
Jones26
6-Man Fan

Postby Thirtysix » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 pm

When you’re up by 40 with 1:00 left in the 2 quarter , 15-20 players on the sideline, and you call a time out so the starters can “finish off” the weaker team, that’s unsportsmanlike. If you’re worried about injuries pull out the starters when you’re up by 30. I know there are times when you can’t help 45ing teams. It happens, but it’s another when you have options to let the kids play. I was coached to play this way, so my outlook may be a little different.
Thirtysix
11-Man Fan

Postby TheMaskedVigilante » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 am

Thirtysix wrote:When you’re up by 40 with 1:00 left in the 2 quarter , 15-20 players on the sideline, and you call a time out so the starters can “finish off” the weaker team, that’s unsportsmanlike. If you’re worried about injuries pull out the starters when you’re up by 30. I know there are times when you can’t help 45ing teams. It happens, but it’s another when you have options to let the kids play. I was coached to play this way, so my outlook may be a little different.

Incorrect. I played a game where we were up by 40 going into half and we pulled our starters. We should have finished them off at half, instead they come back to win by 4. It's not unsportsmanlike... it's securing the victory... a situation we won't let happen again...
TheMaskedVigilante
6-Man Fan

Postby JH PACER COACH » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Masked Vigilante, did you play in that game you were referring to in your previous post, or were you a coach? How are you up by 40 at the half to a team and they come back to beat you by 4? That sounds like some really bad coaching on your teams part, how do you allow that to happen? Surely, they put the starters back in when the other team started their comeback. That sounds like some really bad coaching and some really bad football playing. I'd be more worried about the football program for that team your referring to, than whether or not 45'ing someone is right or wrong.
JH PACER COACH
6-Man Fan

Postby pistol » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:34 pm

JH PACER COACH wrote:Masked Vigilante, did you play in that game you were referring to in your previous post, or were you a coach? How are you up by 40 at the half to a team and they come back to beat you by 4? That sounds like some really bad coaching on your teams part, how do you allow that to happen? Surely, they put the starters back in when the other team started their comeback. That sounds like some really bad coaching and some really bad football playing. I'd be more worried about the football program for that team your referring to, than whether or not 45'ing someone is right or wrong.

dumb post
it sounds like 6man football to me.
to the discussion.. every situation is different. Some matchups one team is clearly better than the other, in other games (like the one masked was talking about) there probably was not a huge difference in the talent on the teams but teams still get 45'd
Would strawn cut off milford if they played again? probably not. they ball gets rolling and 45 happens in a hurry alot of the time
pistol
6-Man Fan

Postby TheMaskedVigilante » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 pm

JH PACER COACH wrote:Masked Vigilante, did you play in that game you were referring to in your previous post, or were you a coach? How are you up by 40 at the half to a team and they come back to beat you by 4? That sounds like some really bad coaching on your teams part, how do you allow that to happen? Surely, they put the starters back in when the other team started their comeback. That sounds like some really bad coaching and some really bad football playing. I'd be more worried about the football program for that team your referring to, than whether or not 45'ing someone is right or wrong.

I played and I wouldn't be too worried about our program as we just won back to back state titles...
TheMaskedVigilante
6-Man Fan

Postby JH PACER COACH » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Okay. Congratulations on back to back state titles. But obviously that wasn't why you were playing. Again, leading by 40 and losing by 4, bad coaching or bad playing, but not the sounds of back to back champions. You and pistol can disagree and say dumb post but the facts are the facts, that you stated yourself. Have a good day!
JH PACER COACH
6-Man Fan

Postby Jones26 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 am

JH PACER COACH wrote:Okay. Congratulations on back to back state titles. But obviously that wasn't why you were playing. Again, leading by 40 and losing by 4, bad coaching or bad playing, but not the sounds of back to back champions. You and pistol can disagree and say dumb post but the facts are the facts, that you stated yourself. Have a good day!

You forgot one other reason why a team can lose a lead like that....injuries. And that has nothing to do with coaching or playing.
Jones26
6-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 am

Jones26 wrote:You forgot one other reason why a team can lose a lead like that....injuries. And that has nothing to do with coaching or playing.

So very true Jones. As bad as injuries can turn an eleven man team around, the injury bug is a lot worse to the sixman team. Very seldom are the six of equal talent. There is usually one who is a little better than the others in talent and performance. If the one is injured, look out. The momentum will turn so fast that you will be swimmy headed for a week! A lot of times the other players on the team go into some kind of shock and just don't perform to their capabilities, just because the star is out. 45 points can happen very quickly then.
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby TheMaskedVigilante » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am

JH PACER COACH wrote:Okay. Congratulations on back to back state titles. But obviously that wasn't why you were playing. Again, leading by 40 and losing by 4, bad coaching or bad playing, but not the sounds of back to back champions. You and pistol can disagree and say dumb post but the facts are the facts, that you stated yourself. Have a good day!

You can say all you want about "bad coaching or bad playing", but at the end of the day we are back to back state champions. If you don't believe we are state champions or if you don't think we should be, come play us.
TheMaskedVigilante
6-Man Fan

Previous

Return to six-man football talk