Congrats Strawn Greyhounds!!!

Moderators: granger, freeagent, mjda76384

Congrats Strawn Greyhounds!!!

Postby undoneone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Congratulations to the Strawn Greyhounds! A heck of a game it seems by the score!!!
undoneone
6-Man Fan

Re: Congrats Strawn Greyhounds!!!

Postby BuffaloCountry » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

It was a hell of a game by a well coached team! Watch out for them next year!! Congrats Strawn!!
BuffaloCountry
6-Man Fan

Postby undoneone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:58 pm

I bet it was! Would have like to seen it, maybe some day they will again have them for an average joe!!
undoneone
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 pm

Congratulations? Boy Howdy! Last year I thought these (primarily) sophomores were good enough they might be able to make it to state by the time they get to be seniors. They had at least a couple of really fast guys, hit hard and blocked well. I thought Tanner Hodgkins had the makings to be something like a Jonathan Lindsey or Jonathan Parsons. A monster on defense and runs over people on offense.
At the start of this year in an interview in the Mineral Wells Index Coach Lee said he thought this is the fastest team he's ever had. I though Yikes! I heard and read the term years ago. Speed kills in sixman. Of course it does in 11 man too. But one missed tackle in sixman and it can mean gone, throw in some good blocking and it is deadly..
As the year went along I realized that Hodgkins was pretty fast too. Kept making these long TD runs. Ivan Ruiz is a hoss and fast as well. Carlos Villanueva? What can you say? A ball of dynamite? Tougher than a ball bearing? Faster than a speeding bullet? As is JW Montgomery.
I reminded Coach Lee about his statement after a game late in the season. He asked, what do you think? I was stumped. I, um, ah, I'm certainly not as qualified as you to know that sir. I don't think I've ever seen a defense swarm to the ball like this one.
After being 45'd by Crowell last year if they could get by them this year they might make the semi's.
Bam.
The semi was a classic.
Today was really sweet.
Thank You Greyhounds.

Post edit. It would not be complete without mentioning Mr. Justin Fraga.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:13 am

51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:01 am

51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby Dogface2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 am

Actually I agree.
In this case
It waz Fast and Strawng.
Obviously dont need 250 lb linemen.
Basic fundamentals.
And playing in Texas Stadium?
was much more excicing than Shotwell.
This yr I think Strawn could take ANYBODY.
Jus sayin'.
Dogface2
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby markf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am

Congrats a new champ in sixman,5 man and a girl
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby Coach Hester » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:20 am

Congratulations to both Strawn and Borden County on their State Championships, and Jonesboro and Balmorhea a great seasons. Entertaining games to watch.
Coach Hester
6-Man Fan

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 51eleven » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm

The crowd yesterday was impressive to me. The paper said 5300. Quite a lot for a sixman game. Strawn's population is If I remember right 695 (?). I guess Balmoreah is about the same. Even if you include people from outside town, the ranches and everybody went at the most that would be about 2000. Everybody doesn't go. The Strawn bank shut down at 10:00 and a fan bus left from there at 11:00 but pack a sac didn't shut down. I saw several Jonesboro shirts/jackets, a few people stayed for both games. I imagine it was the same on the other side with Borden County (if you drive That far why not stick around a little longer before making the drive again?). There were even a few Refugio shirts/jackets there taking in a sixman game before their game. Considering their drive Balmoreah had quite a (vocal!) crowd. In the 19 years I've been going to them Strawn has always traveled well for big playoff games. It was hard to tell for sure just looking around but I thought the Hounds side was a good bit more packed. I guess that's to be expected considering proximity to the venue. Former students and residents that have moved off (like me) show up for big games. My brother in law and sister in law came down from Oklahoma (1978 grad's player/cheerleader).
It made for a lively and fun environment. I was proud to be a part of it supporting the Hounds again.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm

51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby markf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

BJ's in Mingus!! Now that sounds like a fun place
markf
6-Man Fan

Postby Cougarfan13 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Watch the game on VIDEOS on Sixmanfootball.com
Cougarfan13
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm

[quote="markf"]BJ's in Mingus!! Now that sounds like a fun place[/quote

Yeah, the place to be after a Strawn or Gordon home game anymore. Even adults are limited to the Deer Stand in Mingus or Roots in Strawn. Mingus otherwise pretty well died a few years back.
Say hi to Stinker from the 67 team if you drop by and he's around. They were undefeated too.
(Cherokee cheated, Strawn has the Trophy).
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Next

Return to six-man football talk