Tioga Forfeits at Half Because of Bad Officiating???

Moderators: granger, freeagent, mjda76384

Re: Tioga Forfeits at Half Because of Bad Officiating???

Postby rainjacktx » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:37 am

Johnny South wrote:So, what's new. Officials are frequently biased, and players get hurt (usually not seriously) if they play the game long enough. Accept it and do what you can with what you have.

This is how most coaches deal with bad refs. Generally if an official is not very good, he's going to be equally bad for both sides. I've never seen a "biased" ref. Most usually the perceived bias is a result of fans/coaches who are utterly clueless about the rules. Especially junior high mothers. They are by far the worst.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan

Postby rainjacktx » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:39 am

BuffaloCountry wrote:I want to hear the story of the events that unfolded by somebody neutral who was there.

It would be nice if there was film of the game. Unfortunately, without the film, you probably won't get a neutral version of the story.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan

Postby Superjrj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:07 pm

I can'tt think that there are any circumstances other than a serious crime that warrants a forfeiture by a coach once a game starts it is understood that the officials good or bad are accepted and will be used the entire game. It's also understood that there are officials that are horrendous and have no place in officiating but coaches have avenues to check them out prior to playing so it's coaches fault for failure to do so. it's a travesty that athletes are subject to those in officiating authority who misrepresent authority by being inept. But it's a no brainer that once you start you got to finish and by forfeit you just probably got penalized by UIL ANYWHERE from forfeiting games played to forfeiting the season and anywhere from a 1-2-3 year probation and or suspension from post season. The UIL frowns very seriously on this behavior especially from coaches who had avenues to check out the officiating crew prior to game. If you couldn't agree on officials prior to game They could've been assigned by the UIL. But it's not a surprise given the coaches interaction the first game of the year
Superjrj
11-Man Fan

Postby coachburke » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Crew was TASO.
coachburke
6-Man Fan

Postby Superjrj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Crew could've been from the stands it makes no difference by starting the game with them you agree they are competent and then use them the entire game unless they are injured
Superjrj
11-Man Fan

Postby freeagent » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Superjrj wrote:Crew could've been from the stands it makes no difference by starting the game with them you agree they are competent and then use them the entire game unless they are injured

I know that the TAPPS rules stated something like if you agree to begin the game with the officials supplied, then you cannot contest the result based on those officials. The time to be upset about who and what are the officials are is before the game. I'm thinking the folks at UIL probably aren't going to be happy about this.

Again, this is in private schools and back in the old days, we had a number of (non-football) officials groups in the San Antonio area for private schools. One was especially bad and only did a couple schools. I remember going to a volleyball game and hearing the ref address the home team kids by their first name, you know, "Sally, you can't lift the ball like that." Anyway, after an especially poorly called basketball game, I had enough. For the next few years, I would write a letter to the district scratching that officials organization off our list for any games involving our school. One of our district opponents always complained because she'd have to find someone other than their pals to call our games. A couple years later, they did a really stupid thing and we as a district decided not to use them for any district games.
freeagent
6Man Authority

Postby Superjrj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 pm

TASO IS a UIL approved chapter so coaches had every opportunity to check them out. But UIL rules specifically state that once contest starts you have approved the officials. There are avenues to pursue If when you arrive and previously agreed officials aren't there but evidently not the case here. Coaches code of conduct specifically states you will not remove team from contest as a protest. So the seriousness of the event is with coach administrators and others in charge. Even if the officials were inept. I would not find it out of line if schools in other sports not schedule Tioga in any sport. It's a shame that situations like these arise with faults from both sides and the kids get caught in the middle. It's sends a negative message to athletes about authority not only from coaches but from officials.
Superjrj
11-Man Fan

Postby smalltown » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:48 pm

I know nothing about Tioga or about what happened during the game. What I do know is every fan and every coach has seen a game where they thought the officiating was bad but I have never seen or heard of a school quitting cause of it. UIL needs to do something so other coaches don't start do the same thing. Tioga administration needs to also handle the issue. I dont believe in things not going my way so I'll take my ball and go home . Unfortunately our world has become this way.
smalltown
6-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Maybe Tioga should have just taken a knee to protest their intolerable situation! lol
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby tobyvann » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:36 pm

I wasn’t there but I’ve seen both teams play and thesa has a good quarterback and spread back. I bet the quarterback was killing them.
tobyvann
6-Man Fan

Postby jrj1146 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Wow another athletic blow up! A good I'm superior to you and should beat you attitude that's gonna cost a coach his school and his players and upcoming players something they won't like. The coach violates his own signed code of conduct given by his administrators and the UIL to circumvent these situations. Superjrj has hit it right on the head. Those figures in authority (officials) inept and incompetent and coaches making a decision to violate his code of conduct make it two wrongs and neither right. A meeting with administrators and coaches from both sides with a mutual agreement to end the game may have been the plausible solution. Player safety is a major concern but coaches can adjust to do things that lessen that probability. Competitive sports has and will always be seen through the eyes of the aggressor! Coaches interactions and verbal communication towards officials cause some officials to lose train of thought and then each and every decision made by that official deemed incorrect by coaches. I was not there but coached and officiated for 30 years but experience speaking it happens. It's a travesty that instances like this happen and the losers are the kids
jrj1146
11-Man Fan

Postby barny75070 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Tioga did the same sort of thing to us a couple of seasons ago...

The AD didn't like how our girls basketball team "beat up on them",so he called and cancelled our home and away matchup for the following season..."Don't think we will compete against you guys anymore" Way to teach the boys to play through adversity!!!

I wasn't at the game, but have frankly had the opportunity to play against the boys from THESA and while we have traditionally come out on the short end, few organizations are run with more class and better sportsmanship than what Dallas does with those boys.
barny75070
6-Man Fan

Postby Blue Bird » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 pm

I have seen this happen in basketball, but not in football. This was in the mid-70's at a basketball tourney. The coach got his second technical and was ejected. He didn't have an assistant so he gathered his team up and went home. I don't think there was any repercussions from UIL or the officiating chapter. But honestly, I wouldn't have known if there was. On further reflection, it could have been in the early 80's. If this had been a district ballgame there might be some serious penalties, but, a non-district game will warrant at most some type of probation.

There have been many sixman games called because one team could not field enough players to continue play. Those are also forfeits. I don't see this as being a whole lot different.
Blue Bird
6-Man Fan

Postby rainjacktx » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Blue Bird wrote:There have been many sixman games called because one team could not field enough players to continue play. Those are also forfeits. I don't see this as being a whole lot different.

There are rules forbidding a team to continue play without a minimum number players. There is no such allowance in the rules for coaches to quit if they don't like how the game is being called.

I see coaches quitting and going home as completely different from not having enough kids to continue play. I'm pretty sure just about every TASO chapter in a 200 mile radius of Tioga would too.
rainjacktx
6-Man Fan

Postby FCSA football » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:20 pm

A head coach's first and foremost responsibility is for the safety of those kids entrusted to him. Football is a dangerous sport in the best possible situation. That is a given. Furthermore, the liability rests, for the most part, on the head coach. It takes far more courage to take a stand than just "go along to get along".
What I'm seeing on this thread at this moment, is too much EGO, talking before the facts are known.
Granted this was a drastic step, but the situation and conditions may have demanded it.
Let the facts come out before you jump on the condemnation band wagon.
If you get a kid permanently hurt because of YOUR EGO thing,
YOU don't have to live with it, but THE KID may have to, for the rest of his life.
FCSA football
6-Man Fan

PreviousNext

Return to six-man football talk