Spread and ranking updates

Moderators: granger, freeagent, mjda76384

Re: Spread and ranking updates

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm

MilfordInsider wrote:Who they played with should have no affect with the rankings. A loss is a loss.

I believe that is an incorrect assumption........... who someone plays does affect the rankings & ratings ....... and there are "good" losses.........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby MilfordInsider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 pm

I said who they played with... as in which players played in the game. It shouldn't matter if only freshman played the "toy" wouldn't care... the "toy"'only inputs numbers but it seems to be miscalculated. It just seems to hurt teams who don't have a cupcake schedule. Milford has #5 ranked Bryson, #7 ranked Jonesboro and #2 ranked Garden City on the schedule. All bigger schools (DI) and all on the road. And not to mention #10 ranked Oakwood (D2) which will most likely be for the district championship in Milford. All these wins will be great wins no matter what the spread is and how much they win by. We don't schedule cupcakes like Paducah and Rankin no offense to those team but we are out to play the best teams in the state and the "toy" is punishing us for beating them.
MilfordInsider
6-Man Fan

Postby techster2000 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Why are you so worried about the rankings? Will rankings get you in the playoffs? Regional finals? State championship? Get your team a win vs Richland Springs? Nope. They are fodder for people to talk about. If you're team is good, then it will show in the playoffs.
techster2000
6-Man Fan

Postby granger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 am

it is quite a shame people don't get worked up about week 1 of the high school football season
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby smalltown » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am

I agree with techster, quit whining about the rankings. This is week 1 for goodness sake.
smalltown
6-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 am

MilfordInsider wrote:I said who they played with... as in which players played in the game. It shouldn't matter if only freshman played the "toy" wouldn't care...

Insider, I agree with you on this point. The toy does not care what players were in the game or not in the game. If just second or third string players played the game and lost, so be it. I believe "the toy" considers the team overall as far as overall quality and strength.

Last year, and every year for that matter, there were some quality teams that suffered in the rankings through the regular season because of injuries that held them back on wins and points scored. A team can be a powerhouse and have great practices and high hopes all week, then, have a stud pulled the day before a big game, and you can guess what happens. Offensive chaos, defensive misalignment, etc. A loss is a loss and the ranking will drop.
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby MilfordInsider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 am

Or at least that's how it should be Johnny South... don't get me wrong I understand Richland is a totally different team with tippie in, but they lost and they should be judged based on the loss and not based on who they have sitting on the shelf
MilfordInsider
6-Man Fan

Postby Old Bearkat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am

granger wrote:it is quite a shame people don't get worked up about week 1 of the high school football season

ImageImageImageImageImage
Old Bearkat
6Man Authority

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Murdoch » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:22 am

You surely do worry about Richland Springs a WHOLE lot. Why don't you just go back to bragging about how unbelievably great Milford is.
Murdoch
6-Man Fan

Postby airboss32 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:38 am

Some people worry WAY too much about rankings.......this isn't the NCAA FCS, where rankings can and DO determine your chance at playing for a title.
No, here the rankings are a decent subject for discussion, smack talk, chest beating, etc......and Granger, by the time the playoffs roll around, has The Toy fine tuned to where it is pretty darned accurate.
The ONLY things that count are what happens on the field, play to play, week to week. A team can be ranked #1 on here and nationwide, and still get beat on the field.
And that's all that matters in the end......no matter where your team is ranked.
airboss32
6-Man Fan

Postby granger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 am

Not sure how RS was NOT judged by their performance, but maybe that's me... they lost 30 points in their rating. They will lose more this week if they lose to Waco Methodist Children's Home.

But saying they should drop to 25 in the rankings is just dumb. You don't just put teams that are 1-0 at the top and teams that are 0-0 in the middle, then teams 0-1 at the bottom... Happy was #4 overall and beat them. They didn't 45 them. So now they would be about a 25 point underdog to Happy...
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby crawford » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:46 am

Not sure Milford folks can handle all that math!
crawford
6-Man Fan

Postby MilfordInsider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 pm

I never said Richland should be out of the top 25... in my opinion they should be somewhere around 4-7 right now and Milford should be 1-3... Don't get me wrong granger I love the website and all the great things your doing for Sixman.. Just know there are a bunch of angry fans and inspired players in milford based off of these rankings. Like I stated a few post a go the schedule we've created for ourselves allows us to prove how good we are every week, we will climb in weeks to come but for now #5 is a sour taste in our mouth.
MilfordInsider
6-Man Fan

Postby Cougarfan13 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:20 pm

This is DEJA-VU all over again.... anyone remember that David guy from Oakwood a few years back? Start winning, rise in the rankings a little bit, and POOF! A dynasty is born. Guess it's because we are starved for recognition here in the East most of the time, DIV 1 anyway.
Cougarfan13
6-Man Fan

Postby Leman Saunders » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 pm

it is heated this week...Im still railing about the final 1999 rankings myself
Leman Saunders
6-Man Fan

PreviousNext

Return to six-man football talk