Way to early State Picks

Moderators: mjda76384, granger, freeagent

Way to early State Picks

Postby footballfan10113 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:08 am

It's way to early to know but who do y'all feel are the front runners for winning state? Favorites or dark horses?
footballfan10113
11-Man Fan

Re: Way to early State Picks

Postby MilfordInsider » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Front Runners
D1 East
Milford,
D1 West
McLean, Rankin

Contenders: Sterling City, Garden City ,Coolidge

D2 East,
Oakwood, Richland Springs
D1 West
Jayton

Contenders: Strawn, Calvert,
MilfordInsider
6-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm

MilfordInsider wrote:Front Runners
D1 East
Milford,
D1 West
McLean, Rankin

Contenders: Sterling City, Garden City ,Coolidge

D2 East,
Oakwood, Richland Springs
D1 West
Jayton

Contenders: Strawn, Calvert,

That is a good guesstimate on the frontrunners. I am going to say that the D1 west representative will be Rankin. I'm thinking the State Championship game will be between Milford and Rankin.
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby tsmbwm » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Here is your too much info, way too deep into 6-man insight of the week...

Watch the nonconference schedule early in the season. Both Calvert and Rankin play Tribe Warriors. This is a team that has won their state title (TAIAO) two times in a row, is a favorite for a third and returns about 90% of their team including their top QB, RB, and D1 prospect WR. They almost beat Sterling City last year except for a last minute goal-line interception and they are a better team this year. Keep your eyes on this as it is quite possible that either or both teams could end up with a quick blemish before heading into conference play.
tsmbwm
11-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:16 pm

tsmbwm, I did not include the privates and the homeschool teams. I was thinking in terms of teams who follow all of the UIL rules and regulations. But, I'll bet that your folks can put together a pretty salty team.
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby Texlonghorn75 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 am

I guess calling Rankin a frontrunner for the top D1 team is appropriate. Rankin hasn't shown much in the past few years. Getting JB as a assistant will definitely help. Getting Landon on the field would help even more. Still think McLean will be the Big dog of D1 until someone knocks them off. McLean returns too much talent and expect to see them a Jerry's World in late December. Milford should be very good again but they play better away from Arlington.
Texlonghorn75
6-Man Fan

Postby Blue Bird » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am

In my opinion, Rankin will have to beat Garden City before they can be considered a state front runner. Who knows? This might be the year, but Garden City seems to be able to reload every year!
Blue Bird
6-Man Fan

Postby One _pac2018 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:55 am

I don’t think jb will be there . There is a listing for an assistant job there and that would be his right ?
One _pac2018
6-Man Fan

Postby tsmbwm » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 am

JohnnySouth - Not trying to compare UIL to private leagues, I know there is a difference on way too many fronts. I follow all 6-man leagues. All I was suggesting was that both Rankin and Calvert will get a test early to see where they are on their quest for a title before heading into conference play. Many times nonconference is a chance to pad the resume along with lower ranked conference teams and the top teams rarely face a test until the end of the season. I applaud teams who at all levels who are willing to be tested and see where their weaknesses are so they can adjust.
tsmbwm
11-Man Fan

Postby The Bears » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I wouldn’t count Balmorhea out.
The Bears
11-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

tsmbwm wrote:JohnnySouth - Not trying to compare UIL to private leagues, I know there is a difference on way too many fronts. I follow all 6-man leagues. All I was suggesting was that both Rankin and Calvert will get a test early to see where they are on their quest for a title before heading into conference play. Many times nonconference is a chance to pad the resume along with lower ranked conference teams and the top teams rarely face a test until the end of the season. I applaud teams who at all levels who are willing to be tested and see where their weaknesses are so they can adjust.

Like I said I'll bet you can field a pretty salty team. I've seen some of the homeschool teams though that have different players week to week, so are hard to prepare for. And the large Church schools that play sixman can come up with some super athletes at times.
For example, a homeschool team comes in and plays Calvert one week and gets beat, then plays Rankin the next week with a different roster, and wins big, how does anyone know which team was or wasn't tested?
Different eligibility rules make it hard to compare teams, for me anyway.
Another thing that irks me is when folks complain about a UIL team "padding" their schedule by playing a homeschool team or private school. That is not always the case. IMO
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Return to six-man football talk