Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

Coach Profile: Josh Stanaland -- Jayton

Postby granger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am

Josh Stanaland– Jayton
Head Coaching History: Jayton 2010-present
Head Coaching Record: 57-42
High School Attended: Jayton, Class of 2002
-Football in HS: Yes; OL/DL
College(s) Attended: Hardin Simmons; Lamar University (masters)
-Football in College: Did not play sports in college, but was an intramural stud.
Preferred Offensive Set: J
Preferred Defensive Set: 2-3

Q & A:
Leman Saunders: Who would you say are/where your coaching mentors?
Josh Stanaland:
My HS coaches were big influences on me - Daniel Fontenot, Austin Chamness and Danny Sloan. I was able to coach under some really good ones, too - Nathan Hayes, Jeff Shelton, and Jeremy Phillips. As a J-Bird guy, Mitch Lee has influenced me a lot. Vance Jones is another one who does great things in the J offense. Finally, my brother, John Stanaland. We spend a lot of time talking ball. I’ve stolen a lot of his J-Gun stuff.

LS: Has it been hard for you to go back and coach at Jayton, your hometown?
Josh: It hasn’t been hard to come back home to coach. It was a little harder when I got here and was 22 years old just because I hadn’t been gone for very long. Now, 12 years later, it’s really good. Winning here is a little more important because my kids are 4th generation Jayton Jaybirds. Our roots here run deep.

LS: If you could tell first year head coach Josh Stanaland something what would it be?
Josh:
Always remember what’s most important. Winning is a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, use football as a tool to help grow those boys into good men.

LS: Is preparing for this game, coaching against your brother, any different than preparing for any other game?
Josh:
No. Preparing for this game is no different than any other week. It may actually be easier just because the things that we do are so similar.
granger
Guru

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Leman's Laments