Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

Re: Coach Arrested At Sanderson v Marfa Football Game

Postby True Shot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Do I smell hijack??
True Shot
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Hockey’s not too big in Texas............. some of our imports are trying to get it going but so far it has not made inroads into rural parts of the state, probably because most of our rural citizens would attack the rink with an ice pick and Yeti cooler.........
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 pm

True Shot wrote:Do I smell hijack??

Not by me, intentionally at least. My jerking the facemask comment was in relation to something a coach did. Because I wasn't paying attention. For some reason the coach possibly throwing a player to the ground to stop a fight, if that happened, made me think of getting my neck wrenched. Why I don't know.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby topher80 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am

Hijacking dont count until G00ber chimes in. Question was regarding respect or perhaps lack thereof iwth kids having all this fancy equipment... not actually hockey. *sigh*
topher80
6-Man Fan

Postby Leman Saunders » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 am

On the original topic...I was sent an editorial or letter to the editor from the Fort Davis Mountain Dispatch by Bob Dillard that is worth reading if yall can find it!
Leman Saunders
6-Man Fan

Postby smokeyjoe53 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 am

topher80 wrote:Hijacking dont count until G00ber chimes in. Question was regarding respect or perhaps lack thereof iwth kids having all this fancy equipment... not actually hockey. *sigh*

Now you’ve really hurt my snowflake feelings....................
smokeyjoe53
6-Man Fan

Postby True Shot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Leman, can you cut and paste the editorial while Smokeyjoe's feelings are hurt?
True Shot
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Leman Saunders wrote:On the original topic...I was sent an editorial or letter to the editor from the Fort Davis Mountain Dispatch by Bob Dillard that is worth reading if yall can find it!

I failed in a basic google search.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=bob+dilla ... 06ea6f8970

Any hint's?
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby Goob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Jest how many of yew fellers ever been arrested?
Goob
6-Man Fan

Postby Longhorn85 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 pm

And here comes Goob with the logic .. LOL "Don't judge less the be judged" in Goob terms... Thank you for chiming in Goob.. needed that
Longhorn85
6-Man Fan

Postby FCSA football » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Goob wrote:Jest how many of yew fellers ever been arrested?

Follow up to Goob’s question......
Jest how many of you fellers ever arrested anyone?
Hummmmm........???????
FCSA football
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Goob wrote:Jest how many of yew fellers ever been arrested?

I refuse to answer on grounds that I might incriminate myself.

If I was this coach I'd probably also refuse to say anything further until I talk to my scumbag attorney, that I really need right now. Because both school districts have one, both county DA's are likely involved, and the family of the young man reputedly thrown to the ground likely have one by now.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:09 pm

smokeyjoe53 wrote:
topher80 wrote:Hijacking dont count until G00ber chimes in. Question was regarding respect or perhaps lack thereof iwth kids having all this fancy equipment... not actually hockey. *sigh*

Now you’ve really hurt my snowflake feelings....................

Well, in Texas ya don't have to worry about snowflakes the last few years, not many of them have fell in my part of the state.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Swept under the rug. Long way for an investigative media team to travel for a 6 man game.
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby TebowTime15 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 am

51eleven wrote:Swept under the rug. Long way for an investigative media team to travel for a 6 man game.

Or there was not enough evidence to convict and/or pass UIL sanctions against the Sanderson Coach. Have you ever heard of a little thing called sovereign immunity? It is a legal term codified by the 11th Amendment and statutory law that states a government employee will be protected from criminal/civil liability if the action is "within the course and scope of their duty." Police officers often invoke this defense when they shoot a suspect.

It always bothered me that public school employees, as agents of the state and subject to other government restrictions such as "the separation of church and state" taken to an extreme, never seem to invoke protection under sovereign immunity. I think it is reasonable to assume that part of a coaches duties involve breaking up fights. Again, maybe the Sanderson Coach made the wrong decision but he used HIS judgement, as a professional in that situation, which remains very hard to second guess. Don't believe me? Go watch the movie Sully.

Although it is possible that the Sanderson Coach acted stupidly, I think the larger issue of whether or not a public school employee can put their hands on a child if it is absolutely necessary needs to be addressed soon. What if a high school boy and a 5th grader got in a fight on a bus? The only chance the 5th grader has is help from another student or the bus driver. If none of the other students help the 5th grader, then the bus driver is in a no way situation; Basically, they decide whether they get sued for touching a student or negligence for not trying to break up the fight.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I believe in "innocent until proven guilty."
TebowTime15
6-Man Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Leman's Laments