Coach Arrested At Sanderson v Marfa Football Game

Moderators: freeagent, mjda76384, granger

Re: Coach Arrested At Sanderson v Marfa Football Game

Postby Swift22 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 am

By no means are the refs to touch a player. There should not be a need for that. I just thought a refs job was to be responsible for enforcing the Laws of the Game. He or she is the final decision-making authority on all facts connected with play, the authority to start and stop play and impose disciplinary action against player or coaches. I wasn’t there so maybe I’m wrong but I played sports my whole life and was a ref for a few years. Looks to me like they let things get out of control. Then again that’s my assumption and maybe I’m wrong.
Swift22
11-Man Fan

Postby Swift22 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 am

Some situations can be avoided and some cannot. Did the refs do what they could to keep this from happening, I can’t say. I was speculating and I did say the refs didn’t do their job and for that I apologize and I appreciate you bringing it up. I’ll be more careful in the future.
Swift22
11-Man Fan

Postby shreaky » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 am

Swift22 wrote:Some situations can be avoided and some cannot. Did the refs do what they could to keep this from happening, I can’t say. I was speculating and I did say the refs didn’t do their job and for that I apologize and I appreciate you bringing it up. I’ll be more careful in the future.

Experienced officials can sense when a game is going to head south and can usually avoid having a Marfa-Sanderson situation by preventive dead-ball officiating. There are those rare instances, though, where it explodes in a split second with no warning whatsoever.

We had a game last year in which everything was running smoothly. The players were polite and respectful there was no chippy action after plays, everything was normal. Then after a running play, there was a single late hit and the benches cleared. We had 7 ejections that night.
shreaky
11-Man Fan

Postby FCSA football » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 pm

A mother with a new born was breast feeding her baby when a deputy knocked on her door and arrested her for stealing her daughter’s cell phone. The mother explained that she had taken the phone away from her 15 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER as discipline for getting in trouble at school. The deputy put her in handcuffs and TOOK HER TO JAIL anyway! MARFA ??
No Michigan, but if had been Marfa I wouldn’t have been surprised, would you ?
Where is Barney Fife when you really need him ?
Just asking..........
FCSA football
6-Man Fan

Postby 51eleven » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 pm

JasonTX wrote:
Swift22 wrote: the refs obviously were not doing their job.

What is the refs job in that situation? High school officials ARE NOT allowed to put hands on players to break up a fight. Their number 1 job in a fight is to step back and start writing down numbers of those involved. The coaches are tasked with removing their own players from the fight.

I did not realize ref's were not allowed to put their hands on players to break up fights. I guess I never really thought about it but thinking back I don't ever remember seeing it happen. Makes sense, they can't be accused of favoring one team over the other by their actions in such a situation. By the same token they should be able to yell along the lines of "Break it up Now, Go To Your Sideline, Break it up Now or You Will Be Ejected."
51eleven
6-Man Fan

Postby FCSA football » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Have you ever seen a ref dive into the middle of a pile on a fumble, pulling players off and pushing them to see where the ball is and who has possession ? Come on guys take the blinders off and get real.
“CAUTION, SELECTIVE MEMORY AT WORK “!
Just pointing out the obvious............
FCSA football
6-Man Fan

Postby Johnny South » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 pm

FCSA football wrote:Where is Barney Fife when you really need him ?
Just asking..........

Looking for his bullet?
Johnny South
6-Man Fan

Postby olderelk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Johnny South wrote:
FCSA football wrote:Where is Barney Fife when you really need him ?
Just asking..........

Looking for his bullet?

Thanks for the laugh.
olderelk
6-Man Fan

Postby JasonTX » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 am

FCSA football wrote:Have you ever seen a ref dive into the middle of a pile on a fumble, pulling players off and pushing them to see where the ball is and who has possession ? Come on guys take the blinders off and get real.
“CAUTION, SELECTIVE MEMORY AT WORK “!
Just pointing out the obvious............

There is a big difference in digging in a pile on a fumble and putting hands on a player during a fight. The insurance companies would not want to defend an official in a lawsuit from slinging a player away from a fight.
JasonTX
6-Man Fan

Postby JasonTX » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 am

51eleven wrote:
JasonTX wrote:
Swift22 wrote: the refs obviously were not doing their job.

What is the refs job in that situation? High school officials ARE NOT allowed to put hands on players to break up a fight. Their number 1 job in a fight is to step back and start writing down numbers of those involved. The coaches are tasked with removing their own players from the fight.

I did not realize ref's were not allowed to put their hands on players to break up fights. I guess I never really thought about it but thinking back I don't ever remember seeing it happen. Makes sense, they can't be accused of favoring one team over the other by their actions in such a situation. By the same token they should be able to yell along the lines of "Break it up Now, Go To Your Sideline, Break it up Now or You Will Be Ejected."

We do yell. We also blast the whistle and sometimes that helps break up the fight. Those things are loud when you are in the line of the blast. But we are talking about kids, who for whatever reason, just want to knock each others heads off and the last person they will listen to is the officials. Officials are not the most loved people on the field as it is. If an official throws a player off during a fight there will be one pissed of momma coming after that official. To top that off, the official will be sued and our insurance would not want to cover us in a situation. We don't know what the resolution will be with the Sanderson coach, but I can assure you if it was the official that threw the player, that kids parents would not go lightly toward the official.
JasonTX
6-Man Fan

Previous

Return to Leman's Laments